What is the UH-Lamar University Pre-pharmacy Cooperative Program?
A program developed by the University of Houston College of Pharmacy and Lamar University to create a pipeline of highly qualified students who ultimately graduate from UHCOP with a doctor of pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree. The program provides for the admission of those students who satisfy both academic and non-academic requirements.
What does a student accepted to the UH-Lamar University Pre-pharmacy Cooperative Program receive?
- In the year they wish to begin Pharm.D. school, a seat reserved for them within the incoming Fall class
- Mentoring and personal assistance to prepare for UHCOP while completing the pre-pharmacy curriculum
- Career Counseling
- Mentoring and networking with local alumni
- Admission to UHCOP if all program requirements are met
- Meetings with UHCOP Admissions staff each semester to enhance student preparation for UHCOP
- Personal visits to UHCOP once a semester during the academic year
- Shadow current Pharm.D. students at UHCOP during the academic year
How does a student become part of the UH-Lamar University Pre-pharmacy Cooperative Program?
The 2023 Co-op application will be made available in Fall 2022.
- Have earned an SAT or ACT score equal to or greater than the mean score for the state of Texas.
- Must be admitted to Lamar University as an incoming freshman.
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of 12 and no more than 30 semester hours at Lamar University, including one math and one science course during the fall semester. A 3.2 grade point average overall and a 3.2 grade point average in math/science courses are recommended.
- Apply to the UH-LU Pre-pharmacy Cooperative Program no later than March 1 of the freshman year.
- Interview with UHCOP upon invitation by the Director of Admissions subsequent to receiving a completed application packet.
What are the steps a student must take to apply for admission to the program?
- Submit the completed UH-LU Pre-pharmacy Cooperative Program Application to the following address no later than March 1: Medical Pre-Professional Programs, College of Arts & Sciences, PO Box 10058, Lamar University, Beaumont, TX 77710.
- Submit the $100.00 application fee
- Submit official final transcripts from all colleges and universities that the student has attended
- Submit an official final high school transcript
- Submit personal statement, 1-2 pages in length, typed, double-spaced, on why you chose pharmacy as a career and what distinguishes you from other students.
- Provide three letters of reference forms from three of the following sources: a high school teacher/counselor, a college professor/academic advisor, a pharmacist or a personal reference.
What is required of a student who is accepted to the UH-Lamar University Pre-pharmacy Cooperative Program?
- Sign a contract with UHCOP which specifies the requirements of the program
- Attend Lamar University full-time
- Maintain a minimum cumulative UH prerequisite GPA of 3.2 and UH prerequisite math/science GPA of 3.2 GPA will be reviewed yearly at the end of the spring semester.
- Make a personal visit to UHCOP once a semester during the academic year.
- Meet with the UHCOP Director of Admissions at least once per semester during the academic year.
- Shadow a current Pharm.D. student once a semester at UHCOP during the academic year.
- Attendance at a summer internship may be required in the future; students will be given a minimum of one-year notice for the internship requirement.
- Meet with the Lamar University pre-health advisor at least twice per semester.
- Since a seat within the Pharm.D. class is reserved for the student, they cannot apply to other Pharm.D. programs.