Revised: April 1, 2022
Consent to Treat: The UH Student Health Center is an integrated healthcare facility providing medical and mental health services.
Confidentiality: Medical information is not released without the patient's consent except as required by law.
You can view an online version from your mobile device on the Heath Center website or request a copy at the Student Health Center Front Desk.
Telemedicine Informed Consent
Please read this document carefully and note any questions you have along the way to discuss when our medical support staff member contacts you to finalize your appointment.
Telemedicine involves the use of electronic communications for the evaluation and treatment of non-emergent healthcare needs. Telemedicine may on occasion involve consultation with a specialist or other healthcare provider and the sharing of relevant medical information for the purpose of improving patient care.
Shared information may be used for diagnosis, therapy, follow-up and/or education, and may include any of the following:
- Patient medical records
- Medical images
- Live two-way audio and video
Electronic systems used will incorporate network and software security protocols to protect the confidentiality of patient identification and imaging data and will include measures to safeguard the data and to ensure its integrity against intentional or unintentional corruption.
- Access to medical care when face-to-face visits are not possible
- Efficient medical evaluation and management
- Improved coordination of care
As with any medical procedure, there are potential risks associated with the use of telemedicine.
These risks include, but may not be limited to:
- In rare cases, information transmitted may not be sufficient (e.g. poor resolution of images) to allow for appropriate medical decision making by the provider;
- Delays in medical evaluation and treatment could occur due to deficiencies or failures of the equipment;
- In very rare instances, security protocols could fail, causing a breach of privacy of personal medical information;
- In rare cases, a lack of access to complete medical records may result in adverse drug interactions or allergic reactions or other judgment errors
Patient Consent to the Use of Telemedicine:
- I have read and understand the information provided above regarding telemedicine and will discuss it with a UH Student Health Center provider or representative as may be designated if I have any questions.
- I understand that the laws that protect privacy and the confidentiality of medical information also apply to telemedicine, and that no information obtained in the use of telemedicine which identifies me will be disclosed to researchers or other entities without my consent.
- I understand that I have the right to withhold or withdraw my consent to the use of telemedicine in the course of my care at any time, without affecting my right to future care or treatment.
- I may revoke my right at any time by contacting the Student Health Center at 713-743-5151.
- I confirm that I am located in the state of Texas and will be in Texas during my telemedicine visit(s).
- I understand that I will not be physically in the same room as my health care provider. I will be notified of and my consent obtained for anyone other than my healthcare provider present in the room.
- If it is determined that the videoconferencing equipment and/or connection is not adequate, I understand that my health care provider or I may discontinue the telemedicine visit and make other arrangements to continue the visit.
- I understand that I have the right to inspect all information obtained and recorded in the course of a telemedicine interaction, and may receive copies of this information for a reasonable fee.
- I understand that a variety of alternative methods of medical care may be available to me, and that I may choose one or more of these at any time.
- I understand that telemedicine may involve electronic communication of my personal medical information to other medical practitioners who may be located in other areas, including out of State.
- I understand that it is my duty to inform the UH Student Health Center of electronic interactions regarding my care that I may have with other healthcare providers.
- I understand that I may expect the anticipated benefits from the use of telemedicine in my care, but that no results can be guaranteed or assured.
- I understand that my health care information may be shared with other individuals for scheduling and billing purposes.
- I understand my financial responsibility.
- I understand that if any labs or testing are ordered, the services may be provided by a healthcare facility outside of the Student Health Center and I will be responsible for the cost of these services.
- I understand that this document will become a part of my medical record.
By consent to treatment by telemedicine, I attest that:
- I have personally read this form (or had it explained to me) and fully understand and agree to its contents;
- I have had my questions answered to my satisfaction, and the risks, benefits, and alternatives to telemedicine visits shared with me in a language I understand; and
- I am located in the state of Texas and will be in Texas during my telemedicine visit.