Email: zloyarvide [at] uh [dot] edu
Office: 469 Philip G. Hoffman Hall
Ph.D., Sociology, Rice University
M.A., Sociology, University of Houston
B.A., Psychology and Sociology, Houston Baptist University
Zelma Oyarvide Tuthill is an assistant professor of Sociology at the University of Houston. She is also a joint faculty member with the Women, Gender and Sexuality program. She received her PhD. From Rice University in 2020.
Her research examines how health inequality is reproduced across the intersections of race/ethnicity, nativity, gender identity and sexual orientation. As a health scholar her qualitative, quantitative and theoretical work examines various axis of wellbeing including health status, health behaviors and healthcare utilization among population groups. In order to more accurately capture processes of inequality among marginalized groups, her research agenda highlights how racism, sexism and heterosexism structure and reproduce poorer health outcomes and health environments.
- Population Health
- Health Disparities
- Race/Ethnicity, Class and Gender
- Social Stratification
- Introduction to Sociological Research
- Gender, Sexuality and Health
- Oyarvide Tuthill, Zelma, Justin Denney and Bridget K. Gorman. 2020. “Racial Disparities in Self-Rated Health Among Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Heterosexual Men and Women.” Ethnicity and Health. 25(2): 177-188.
- Oyarvide Tuthill, Zelma and Bridget Gorman. 2019. “Medical Comfort at the Intersection of Gender and Sexual Orientation” Social Currents 6(5): 464-486. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/2329496519852580
- Gorman, Bridget and Zelma Oyarvide Tuthill. 2018. “Socioeconomic Status, Sexual Orientation and Healthy Aging” Generations; Journal of the American Society on Aging 42(2): 57-60.
- Oyarvide Tuthill, Zelma. 2017. “A Demographic Analysis of the Health Care Status of Children from LGBT Households.” Pp. 237-249 in Applied Demography and Public Health in the 21 stCentury, edited by M.N. Hoque, B. Pecotte and M.A McGehee. Switzerland: Springer.
- Oyarvide Tuthill, Zelma. 2016. “Negotiating Religiosity and Sexual Identity Among Hispanic Lesbian Mothers.” Journal of Homosexuality 63: 1194-1210. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00918369.2016.1151691