Skip to main content

You have questions. We have answers.

While our advisors are always available for guidance, we understand that sometimes you need a quick answer to a simple question. For your convenience, we have compiled some of the most popular questions students ask about our undergraduate program.

Common Questions

  • How do I declare my major/ minor?

    To declare a major or minor at the Valenti School of Communication, you must complete a General Petition form with your advisor during a full advising session. You can visit our main office to get a form.

    Please also keep in mind:

    • To declare a major, you must have 12 University of Houston credit hours earned and a 2.25 minimum overall GPA at UH
    • To declare a minor, you must you must have a declared major and a minimum of overall GPA of 2.00 at the University of Houston

    To learn more about the majors and minors at the Valenti School of Communication, visit our Undergraduate Degrees page.

  • How do I add or drop a class?

    You can add or drop classes through your myUH account. Be sure to add or drop classes by the deadline for each semester. Visit the UH Academic Calendar to confirm add/drop deadlines.

    Adding a class

    • If you're adding classes during the registration period, be sure to figure out your enrollment appointment date and time by checking the UH Enrollment Schedule.
    • Before adding a class, check the prerequisites. Filter the UH Course Catalog for any course Prefix (e.g. COMM or SPAN). For courses that require “Instructor Consent” or a “Permission Number,” you must get instructor approval. Most professors prefer to be contacted through email.

    Dropping a class

    • Please keep in mind that our advisors can assist with adds and swaps, but will not process a drop.
    • Drops that are done on or before the Official Reporting Day (ORD) of each semester do not result in a ‘W,’ so please pay close attention to the UH Academic Calendar.
  • How do I get into a closed course?

    For COMM Courses

    If the class is a COMM course, there are two ways to go about getting added to a closed course.

    The first option is to email the professor of the closed class and ask for permission to be added to closed course. If received, forward the professor’s permission email thread to our advisors at ateamvsc@Central.UH.EDU and include the following information:

    • Your full name
    • Your PeopleSoft ID
    • The Course Number (e.g. COMM 1301)
    • The 5-digit class number (section number)
    The second option is to pick up a CLASS Add form from Agnes Arnold and complete it. Once the form is completed, ask the professor to sign it. The student is responsible for bringing the signed form to our advising team for processing.

    For Non-COMM Courses

    Contact that department's advisors for information on how to be added. Other departments may have a different procedure for adding to a closed class. You can get the contact information for all Advisors by College on the Office of the Provost's website.