Skip to main content


The department of communication sciences and disorders at the University of Houston offers the following undergraduate degree programs:

Undergraduate Major in Communication Sciences and Disorders

Students majoring in communication sciences and disorders choose either a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Arts degree. The primary difference between these two degrees is that the Bachelor of Science requires a focus in formal science and mathematics, and the Bachelor of Arts requires a focus in foreign language. All COMD courses must be completed with a grade of C or better. An undergraduate degree in communication sciences and disorders is a pre-professional degree. A master's degree is required to practice as a speech language pathologist, and a clinical doctorate degree is required to practice as an audiologist. With a bachelor's degree in Communication Disorders, you may be able to work in Texas as a speech-language pathology assistant (SLPA) by completing clinical training with an employer. The details about becoming licensed as an SLPA in Texas are found on the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) website. Students are responsible for ensuring they meet any TDLR requirements. TDLR specifies grade and semester credit hour requirements. Please review the TDLR website and administrative rules for SLPA licensing.

Four-year Academic Maps for the B. A. and B.S. degree may be found on this website. Information contained in the 4 Year Academic Maps may be subject to change. Course descriptions can be found in the undergraduate catalog. It is important for all COMD majors and Pre-COMD students to follow the appropriate course sequence.

The COMD Core Courses (COMD 2339, COMD 2338, and COMD 2376) are foundational courses for our major.  They (or their approved equivalents) are required for all students to ensure that each student has a solid basis on which to build knowledge in later classes. 


Undergraduate Minor in Communication Sciences and Disorders

You must see the undergraduate advisor to declare communication sciences and disorders as a minor. The minor must be approved at the department and college level. All COMD minor courses must be completed with a grade of C or better. Students will be dropped from courses not on the minor plan. Neither the department nor the instructor will be responsible for tuition refunds when ineligible students are dropped from a course. See more information about the undergraduate minor in COMD in the UH Undergraduate Catalog. See the COMD Minor worksheet.

Degree Plans

To file a degree plan, please consult with your advisor and the UH Undergraduate Catalog requirements.