College of Liberal Arts
and Social Sciences
The University of Houston
402 Agnes Arnold Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3000
Thesis and Dissertation
Submitting the Manuscript to the Dean's Office
Once a thesis or dissertation has been defended and approved by a faculty committee, the final version of the manuscript must be submitted to the Dean’s Office of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. The committee certifies that the manuscript is approved as to style and content, but the Dean’s Office has final authority in the acceptance of the manuscript. The manuscript must be grammatically correct, reflect clear communication ability, and follow the standards presented in this document and in the specific style manual adopted by the program of study. Errors and omissions in the final version of the manuscript may delay the student’s degree conferral. The student should work closely with primary advisor on issues of format and style.
A review copy of the manuscript must be submitted to the Office of the Dean in Agnes Arnold Hall room 402 no later than the deadline listed; it is typically two weeks prior to the conclusion of the semester. A manuscript review and submission appointment is required to be made before the deadline. Contact Anna Marchese at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
Thesis and Dissertation Deadlines
Fall 2013 Deadline for Submission to Dean’s Office: Friday, December 6th
(In rare instances extensions may be granted but not guaranteed if extenuating circumstances exist. Prior to the deadline, submit a general petition, with an explanation of the situation, any attached supporting documentation, and signature approval by Thesis/dissertation chair and director of graduate studies, to the Dean’s Office.)
Tips for Successful Submission
- Consult with your advisor/committee about the progress of your work, formatting, and content issues early in the semester.
- Understand that the student has the responsibility to fill out all forms, obtain proper signatures, make a submission appointment, and submit a complete, accurate, and successfully defended manuscript package. This includes one (1) bound copy of the master’s thesis or dissertation to the Dean’s Office. (Bindery delivery receipt is sufficient proof of binding.) [Note: senior honor’s thesis students must submit a minimum of three (3) bound copies.] Submit, once dissertation/thesis is approved by the Dean’s Office, an electronic version of the thesis or dissertation to the University of Houston Library. [Note: Senior honors theses are not submitted electronically to the Library.]
- Remember that any errors, omissions or discrepancies may delay degree conferral. Pay attention to details and be active in the pursuit of timeliness and accuracy.
- Estimate the out of pocket costs necessary to submit, microfilm, and/or copyright your manuscript so you will be prepared.
- Physical Appearance: Left margin is of 1.25”-1.50” and 1” on the remaining three sides.
- All figures or illustrations must be captioned. The same style of type and consistent spacing must be used throughout the thesis. There is no fixed style for references, equations, figures, and tables. Whatever style is adopted should be used consistently.
- A consistent form of referencing should be used throughout the thesis. Most professional societies in specific fields of the major department has a preferred style which should be used. Common styles include APA, MLA and Chicago Manual of Style.
- The thesis must be double-spaced.
- The type size should be 10–12 point.