The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences offers graduate courses in the humanities and the social and health sciences. The graduate programs in CLASS provide advanced academic instruction and expertise in the methods and skills of each discipline.
CLASS offers PhD degrees, the highest level of academic study, in seven of our departments. These rigorous, advanced programs require coursework, extensive independent research, and the creation of an original contribution to knowledge through the doctoral dissertation.
- Department of Economics: PhD Economics
- Department of English: PhD English and American Literature; PhD Literature and Creative Writing
- Department of Health and Human Performance: PhD Kinesiology
- Department of Hispanic Studies: PhD Spanish
- Department of History: PhD History
- Department of Political Science: PhD Political Science
- Department of Psychology: PhD Clinical Psychology; PhD Industrial/Organizational Psychology; PhD Social Psychology; PhD Developmental Psychology
All departments and schools in the college offer master's degrees, which provide in-depth instruction and preparation, beyond the bachelor's level, in a particular field. Students may use the master's degree to prepare themselves to move directly into the workforce or as a stepping stone to doctoral studies. All master's degrees require a significant amount of coursework, and they also require a master's thesis, comprehensive examinations, or other capstone project to attain the degree.
CLASS offers the following master's degrees:
- Jack J. Valenti School of Communication: MA Mass Communication; MA Public Relations Studies; MA Health Communication; MA Health Communication
- Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders: MA Communication Disorders
- Department of Comparative Cultural Studies: MA Anthropology
- Department of Economics*: MA Applied Economics
- Department of English*: MFA Creative Writing; MA English and American Literature
- Department of Health and Human Performance*: MS Exercise Science; MS Human Space Exploration Science; MA Sports Administration; MAT Athletic Training
- Department of Hispanic Studies*: MA Spanish
- Department of History*: MA History
- Department of Modern and Classical Languages: MA World Cultures and Literatures
- Department of Philosophy: MA Philosophy
- Department of Political Science*: MA Political Science
- Public Administration Program: MPA Public Administration
- Hobby School of Public Affairs: MPP Public Policy
- Department of Sociology: MA Sociology
* It is possible to continue on into doctoral studies in your field at the University of Houston after completion of your master's degree in these CLASS departments.
Dean's Office Contacts
Dr. Catherine Patterson
Associate Dean for Graduate Studies