Defending and Graduating Fall 2019?
Attend the binding session on Friday, Nov. 1 from 3-4pm in The Honors College, room 212S.
Starting a Thesis in the Spring 2020 Semester?
Attend Senior Honors Thesis Orientation on Friday, Jan. 17th from 2-3pm in The Honors College, room 212S.
- University Honors with Honors in Major – Member of the Honors College, student has completed 28-36 hours of Honors coursework, including the Human Situation Sequence, and has completed a thesis
- Collegiate Honors with Honors in Major – Member of the Honors College, student has completed 22 hours of Honors coursework or an Honors minor, and has completed a thesis
- Membership in the Honors College with Honors in Major – Member of the Honors College, and has completed a thesis
- Honors in Major – Student has completed a thesis
The Office of Undergraduate Research is responsible for overseeing undergraduate thesis work throughout the university and ensuring its quality. Regardless of affiliation with The Honors College, all University of Houston students who meet the following requirements are eligible to complete a Senior Honors Thesis:
- 3.25 cumulative GPA and a 3.5 GPA in major
- Approval from the student’s academic department and The Honors College
The total amount of work required for a thesis should be roughly equivalent to six hours of coursework (250-300 clock hours). You will register for a total of six credit hours (3399 and 4399) for your thesis. Generally, the hours will count toward your major degree requirements, but please verify this information with your academic advisor. You will receive an "IP" (in progress) grade for 3399, which will be changed to a letter grade when you have finished the thesis. Students who complete a Senior Honors Thesis will graduate with an Honors designation, which will be noted on the official transcript.
Collaborative efforts between The Honors College, the Office of Undergraduate Research, and each College at the University of Houston ensures students’ success in the Senior Honors Thesis program. Please visit the College-Specific Information for Senior Honors Thesis page for requirements, forms, and deadlines for each College.