Graduate Assistantships and Tuition Fellowships
A variety of financial support is available to students undertaking graduate study in CLASS. Doctoral programs and some master’s programs in the departments offer a limited number of funding packages that might include Graduate Assistantships such as Teaching Assistant (TA) or Research Assistant (RA) stipends, Graduate Tuition Fellowships (GTF), or other forms of scholarship/fellowship support for highly qualified students. All support packages are awarded on a competitive basis. Eligibility for all of these forms of graduate support requires full-time enrollment (generally 9 credit hours in the Fall and Spring semesters) and maintenance of a GPA of at least 3.0. Consult the website of the particular program you are interested in to find details of the forms of financial support that may be available for your studies and how to apply for them.
Additional Competitive Support
Presidential and Provost’s Fellowships: The most highly qualified incoming doctoral and Master of Fine Arts students in CLASS may be eligible for additional scholarship support such as the Presidential and Provost’s Fellowships. These two-year awards are available to students who enter graduate programs at the University of Houston; departments must nominate qualified applicants to these fellowships. Selection is based on potential for academic (and in the case of MFA students, also artistic) excellence in a graduate program. Eligibility requires full-time enrollment (generally 9 credit hours in the Fall and Spring semesters) and maintenance of a GPA of at least 3.0 throughout the period of the award. See your department’s website for further information and selection criteria for nomination.
Dissertation Completion Fellowships: These fellowships go to PhD students in the final year of their doctoral careers, offering them two long semesters of release from teaching in order to concentrate fully on completion of the dissertation in a timely manner. Departments must nominate highly qualified candidates for this fellowship program to a college selection committee. Selection is based on excellence of the dissertation project, academic excellence in and timely progress through the program, and likelihood of completion of the dissertation within the year. Click here for more information. The deadline for application for the 2015-16 Dissertation Completion Fellowship is March 2, 2015.
Selection Criteria for Competitive Financial Support in CLASS
Selection for competitive support is based on review of an applicant’s entire record, taken as a whole. While the particular criteria for selection will vary from program to program, the general requirements for competitive funding in CLASS include:
For new applicants to a graduate program:
- Quality of academic record at previous undergraduate or graduate institution
- Strength of letters of recommendation and student’s writing sample (if required)
- Applicant’s performance on examinations such as the GRE and TOEFL or entrance auditions/portfolios in arts and performance areas, as appropriate
- Demonstrated interest in obtaining a graduate degree as evidenced by the statement of purpose
- Overall promise of excellence as evidenced by all application materials
For students continuing in a UH graduate program:
- Quality of academic record at the University of Houston
- Maintenance of good standing and continuous enrollment in program
- Overall excellence of academic work and professionalism in program and performance of job duties (for Graduate Assistants)
- Demonstration of likelihood of timely completion of the graduate program