College of Liberal Arts
and Social Sciences
The University of Houston
402 Agnes Arnold Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3000
Teaching Assistantships, Research Assistantships, Tuition Fellowships
A variety of financial support is available to students undertaking graduate study in CLASS. Doctoral programs (and some MFA programs) in the departments offer a limited number of funding packages that might include Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant stipends, Graduate Tuition Fellowships (GTF, formerly know as DSTF), or other forms of scholarship/fellowship support for highly qualified students. Some departments and schools have some scholarship or TA support at the master’s degree level, as well. All support packages are awarded on a competitive basis. Consult the website of the particular program you are interested in to find details of the forms of financial support that may be available for your studies and how to apply for them.
Additional Competitive Support
Presidential, Cullen, and Ehrhardt Fellowships: The most highly qualified incoming doctoral students in CLASS may be eligible for additional scholarship support such as the Presidential, Cullen, and Ehrhardt Fellowships. These two-year awards are available to students who enter graduate programs at the University of Houston; departments must nominate qualified applicants to these fellowships. Selection is based on potential for academic excellence in a graduate program. See your department’s website for further information and selection criteria for nomination.
Dissertation Completion Fellowships: These fellowships go to PhD students in the final year of their doctoral careers, offering them two long semesters of release from teaching in order to concentrate fully on completion of the dissertation in a timely manner. Departments must nominate highly qualified candidates for this fellowship program to a college selection committee. Selection is based on excellence of the dissertation project, academic excellence in and timely progress through the program, and likelihood of completion of the dissertation within the year. Click here for more information. The deadline for application for the 2014-15 Dissertation Completion Fellowship is February 28, 2014.
Selection Criteria for Competitive Financial Support in CLASS
Selection for competitive support is based on review of an applicant’s record as a whole. While the particular criteria for selection will vary from program to program, the general requirements for competitive funding in CLASS include:
For new applicants to a graduate program:
- Quality of academic record at previous undergraduate or graduate institution
- Strength of letters of recommendation
- Applicant’s performance on examinations such as the GRE and TOEFL, or entrance auditions/portfolios in arts and performance areas, as appropriate
- Demonstrated interest in obtaining a graduate degree as evidenced by the statement of purpose
- Overall promise of excellence as evidenced by application materials
For students continuing in a UH graduate program:
- Quality of academic record at the University of Houston
- Maintenance of good standing and continuous enrollment in program
- Overall excellence of academic work and professionalism in program
- Demonstration of likelihood of timely completion of the graduate program