As an Academic Program, Chinese Studies has the following major features
- Offers a Major (the B.A. degree) and a Minor in Chinese Studies.
- Offers a rich curriculum of language courses at all levels (four years) and in different subjects from literature to business Chinese.
- Offers interdisciplinary courses on culture, literature, and linguistics, taught in English.
- Offers a Faculty-led Chinese Summer Study Abroad Program.
- Offers 5 annual scholarships to more than 20 UH students annually: 1. The Chinese Ministry of Education Study Abroad Award via the Consulate General of PRC; 2. Sino-USA Friendship Award; 3. Shang-Zhih & Lucia Lee Wu Scholarship; 4. BeiQing-UH Summer Study Abroad Scholarship. 5. Excellence in Chinese Studies.
- Provides Placement & Credit Exams administrated by the University Testing Center.
As an active collaborator, the Chinese Studies program has served the interests and needs of the communities.
- Established the STARTALK Texas Teacher Program at UH to offer professional development programs and graduate courses, led by Dr. Xiaohong (Sharon) Wen who has been the recipient of the federal grants (NSA) from the National Foreign Language Center.
- Offers Lecture Series on China and Asian (Chinese Film Month, Chinese Medicine and its Philosophy); presenters including the NY Times Bestselling author, the BP Asian Executive Director, professors, etc. The lectures are open to public.
- Co-organizes the Annual Great Houston Area Chinese Speech Contest. All the faculty members of the Chinese program have played significant roles in this large scale event since 2003.
- Collaborates with local language magnet schools in HISD and the community college system for external grant applications, teacher training, and Chinese culture orientation.
- Organizes various ethnic festival events to celebrate Chinese New Year, Mid-autumn, Chinese film month, etc.