Department of Modern &
University of Houston
613 Agnes Arnold Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3006
Scholarships and Awards
Bryan Pawlic from CHNS 2302 won first place at 2005 Chinese Speech and Art Performance Contest
Chinese Government Scholarship
This prestigious scholarship is offered to students in American educational institutions by the Chinese Ministry of Education via the Consulate General of PRC in Houston. The scholarship is intended to strengthen the educational exchanges and cooperation between China and United States. It provides a full scholarship to study in China for one year. The scholarship recipient may choose a university in China.
This scholarship provides registration fee, tuition, laboratory fee, internship and learning materials. It also provides accommodation, monthly living allowance, and a one-off settlement subsidy. Furthermore, it covers outpatient medical service and insurance. This scholarship is highly competitive. Scholarships are awarded to students who have demonstrated academic excellence in, and significant commitment to, the study of Chinese.
- Preference will be given to students who have declared majors or minors in Chinese Studies and who are juniors or seniors.
- Overall minimum GPA of 2.75.
- Overall minimum Chinese GPA of 3.25.
- Applicants should currently be full time students at the University of Houston.
- Application essay of good quality.
- Submit 3 copies of the “CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP from the Ministry of Education of P.R. China APPLICATION FORM”.
- Submit 3 copies of the candidate’s personal statement in English, stating the reasons for the application. (About 400 words). This is very important documentation in the application package.
- Submit 1 copy of a recent transcript.
The Chinese Scholarship Committee will select candidates based on academic merit, dedication to the study of the Chinese language and culture, originality of thought and purpose, and contribution to the development of the Chinese language and culture.
Advertisement of scholarships: All Chinese Program Scholarships are advertised via classroom announcement, distribution lists, bulletin boards, and university websites.
Please submit your complete application to MCL department 613AH or to your Chinese course instructor by Friday, Feb. 28, 2014.
The Award is given annually to students who excel in Chinese language courses at UH. It is sponsored by the Education Office of the Consulate General of PRC in Houston. Students who are currently taking Chinese language and culture courses offered by the China program are eligible to apply. Students should write a statement of application and submit it to the instructor of the course. The deadline for the application is Friday, Feb. 28, 2014 each year. Please submit your application statement to your course instructor.