You'll apply as an international freshman student if you plan to attend the University of Houston with citizenship from a country outside the U.S. and have no college coursework (or are transferring less than 15 credit hours from an accredited university).
|Minimum Grades / Marks||Meets English Requirements|
|Equivalent GPA 3.0 or higher (4.0 scale)||Yes|
English Language Proficiency Requirement
|TOEFL (iBT)||TOEFL (PBT)||IELTS Overall||Duolingo English Test||SAT Total / Creative Writing||ACT Composite / English|
|Term||Application Type||Open Date||Application Close Date||Application Materials Due*|
|Spring 2021||International Freshman||8/1/2020||11/1/2020||11/6/2020|
|Summer 2021||International Freshman||8/1/2020||4/1/2021||4/8/2021|
|Fall 2021||International Freshman||8/1/2020||5/31/2021||6/7/2021|
*All application materials including application fee, transcripts, test scores, and immigration and financial documents for Form I-20.
Steps to Apply
- Apply Online
Submit your application to using either the Apply Texas Application or The Common Application. Submit just one application.
- Pay Application Fee
You must submit a nonrefundable $90 application fee with a credit or debit card. Payment can be made in your myUH self-service portal or before submitting the admissions application.
- Submit Official Test Scores
Test scores should be sent directly from the testing agency. Our code for ACT is 4236; SAT is 6870; TOEFL is 6870. The testing agency should mail official IELTS score reports to the University of Houston, Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
SAT/ACT scores are only required for special programs.
- Submit Academic Records
Send official* secondary school or high school academic records (transcripts, mark sheets, graduation certificate, etc.). We prefer these to be submitted electronically through your school counselor via email or the Common Application. They can also be sent by mail to 4434 University Drive, Houston, TX 77204.
*Official transcripts must either state "official," have your institution's seal, a signature by a school official, or an official watermark. It’s up to the discretion of the Office of Admissions to determine the validity of the transcript, and the office reserves the right to request additional or different copies if needed.
- Submit Immigration Documents
All applicants are required to submit a copy of their passport ID page(s).
- F-1s in the U.S. are required to submit a copy of page 1 and 2 of the SEVIS I-20 and a copy of their I-94 record.
- J-1s in the U.S. are required to submit a copy of page 1 of the DS-2019 and a copy of their I-94 record.
- Submit Financial Documents
Official bank statements issued no older than (6) months.
- Bank statements must have an original signature from the bank agent and or an official stamp/seal of the issuing bank.
- The amount should be at least $38,930.
- Multiple funding sources are acceptable as long as the sum of the funding available meets the academic year estimate.
- Multiple sponsors are acceptable. However, each sponsor must sign an Affidavit of Support. Students supporting themselves must also sign an Affidavit of Support.
Acceptable financial documents include:
- Statement from the bank signed by agent or bank stamp/seal
- Letter written from bank with the amount clearly indicated in U.S. dollars
- Checking, savings, or certificate of deposit statements
- Scholarship letters
- Letters showing government funding
Required Items for I-20 Form (F-1 Visa)
The following items are required to apply for an F-1 visa or maintain F-1 visa status. Upload your documents to your myUH self-service account at accessuh.uh.edu. (All documents must be uploaded as a PDF file.) Please note that the I-20 form and its required items do not need to be completed by application deadlines.
- Letter of Financial Backing Form. The Letter of Financial Backing Form must be less than six months old from the date of the sponsor(s)’ signature(s).
- Bank Statement. The bank statement must be less than six months old, and it must indicate a minimum balance of USD $38,930 or the equivalent.
To upload: If you have more than one page, please save all pages into one PDF file before uploading.
- Copy of biometric page of
currentpassport. Submit a copy of your biometricpage of your current passport (and U.S. visa, if available).
- International Address Form. International students seeking an I-20 from the University of Houston must provide a physical address outside the United States in their home country using the International Address Form.
International transfer students must contact your current International Advisor to complete the I-20/DS-2019 Transfer Form and request for your current school to release your SEVIS record to
Choose Option to Receive I-20
Choose how you want to receive your I-20 from the three options below.
Option 1: Regular Overseas Mail
Overseas mail takes 4-6 weeks. If you want your I-20 sent by regular overseas mail, no response is required. Your I-20 will be sent by regular overseas mail to the address indicated on your International Address Form. Please do not e-mail to confirm your overseas address.
Option 2: Express Mail
With this option, you will receive your I-20 within 5 days after processing. Express mail is at the expense of the student. To select express mail:
- Go to the University Express Mail Service (UEMS)
- Select "Student Sign Up"
- Create an account
- Select the University of Houston as your school and the Office of Admissions as the department
- Enter your mailing, payment, and myUH ID
Student I-20’s will be available for pick-up upon receipt of the I-20 Release Form. A confirmation e-mail for pick-up will be sent 3-5 business days from the date the release form is submitted.