When applying to the university, Military or Veteran applicants will apply as freshman or transfer students. Typically, Military or Veteran students will be evaluated as transfer applicants, if they have 15 or more college credits from the military or college coursework.
Freshman Admission Criteria must be met by Military or Veteran students considered as Freshman applicants. Certain majors have additional requirements for admission.
Transfer Admission Criteria must be met by Military or Veteran students considered as Transfer applicants (with 15 or more credit hours). Certain majors have additional requirements for admission. If students are transferring with only military credit, they may only be considered for majors that do not have additional criteria.
Steps to Apply
- Complete the University of Houston application for admission using either the ApplyTexas Application or The Common Application. Please submit only one application.
- Pay the nonrefundable $75 application fee ($90 for international students) with a credit card, debit card, or check. Checks can be made out to the University of Houston, 4434 University Drive, Houston, TX 77204. Transfer applicants are not eligible for an application fee waiver.
- Freshman Applicants: Have your ACT or SAT score(s) sent directly from the testing agency to us. Our code for ACT is 4236; SAT is 6870. Also have your most recent High School Transcript sent. Please note that SAT/ACT scores older than 5 years cannot be used.
- Transfer Applicants: Have your most recent official transcript from all colleges and universities attended sent to the University of Houston, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 4434 University Drive, Houston, TX 77204.
Military Transcripts (Methods of Delivery)
Veteran or military students are required to submit all military transcripts. Transcripts can be submitted via the following methods:
- Joint Services Transcripts (JST), Airforce College, American Council on Education (ACE) transcripts must be sent as electronic PDFs from the service directly
- Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard transcripts can be requested at the Joint Services Transcript site.
- Air Force transcripts can be requested through the Air University or the CCAF Online Transcript System.
For more information regarding how to send military transcripts please reach out to UH Veteran Services.
Credit for Military Service
Texas Education Code, Sec. 51.3042 makes military veterans who enroll at a Texas university eligible to receive undergraduate credit for military service. The university will award up to 12 hours of military service credit to satisfy any elective outside the student’s major or minor course requirements if:
- graduated from a public or private high school accredited by a generally recognized accrediting organization or from a high school operated by the United States Department of Defense; and
- is an honorably discharged former member of the armed forces of the United States who:
- completed at least two years of service in the armed forces; or
- was discharged because of a disability.
All students interested in receiving credit for military credit must provide a copy of the DD-214 member 4 to the Office of Admissions.
Fee Waiver Eligibility
Military students may be eligible for a fee waiver under admissions policies. For Freshman military students, please see the NACAC fee waiver form. For transfer military students, students are not eligible for a fee waiver. Active Duty military students who can no longer attend in the semester that they have applied due to active duty placement may be eligible for a fee waiver once they are ready to reapply for the university. Please contact the Office of Admission directly for more information.
For other information and resources please see the links below: