Skip to main content

Visiting Students

A Visiting Student (sometimes referred to as a Transient Student) can take undergraduate courses at the University of Houston, but is not seeking a degree. Students are getting a jumping start on their college coursework, are applying credit toward a degree at another institution, or may have already completed a Bachelor's Degree and are taking pre-requisite courses as a Post-Baccalaureate student.

  • Admission as a Visiting Student is granted to:
    • undergraduate students who are in good standing at their current or most recently attended college or university, and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0, OR
    • high school graduates who have not earned college credit post high school graduation, and have a minimum unweighted cumulative GPA of a 3.5
    • visiting students that satisfy the English language requirement for University of Houston.
  • Visiting students are not eligible for Financial Aid

Steps to Apply

  1. Complete the Transient Application at ApplyTexas.
  2. Pay the non-refundable $75 application fee ($90 for international students) with a credit card or debit card.
  3. Meet the English language requirement for University of Houston.
  4. Send your transcript to us electronically. For more information about transcript submission guidelines, please visit our Submitting Official High School and College Transcripts Guidelines webpage.


Term Open Date Application Due Supporting Information** Due
Spring 2024 8/1/2023 1/8/2024 1/15/2024
Summer 2024 8/1/2023 5/24/2024 5/31/2024
Fall 2024 8/1/2023 8/9/2024 8/16/2024


*If you are interested in taking courses for Summer Session 1, 2 and 3 please submit your application and necessary documents as indicated by your myUH To Do list by the Summer Priority Deadline. Applications and documents submitted for the Summer after the priority deadline will be considered for Summer Session 4.

**Supporting information includes application fee and official transcript(s) from all attended institution(s). 

Visiting to Degree Seeking

Once admitted as a visiting student, no application is necessary for enrollment in future term sessions. Enrollment as a degree-seeking student requires a visiting student to complete the Degree Seeking Status Change Request Form, meet transfer admission requirements of the University of Houston (and their intended major), and submit all transcripts from previous colleges and universities. Admitted students will be required to go through New Student Orientation.

For more information about transcript submission guidelines, please visit Submitting Official High School and College Transcripts Guidelines.