ISSSO - Tax Information - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Tax Information

Links to the IRS and International Tax Web Sites

The Internal Revenue Service offers free advice and answers to international tax questions. Contact the IRS National Office Hotline at (202) 874-1460 for assistance. This is not a toll-free number. In addition to the IRS hotline, free tax information regarding taxation of foreign nationals can be found at the following web sites:

This list of tax websites was prepared by NAFSA Member Paula Singer, a lawyer and partner in the tax law firm, Vacovec, Mayotte & Singer in Newton, MA and co-founder of Windstar Technologies, Inc, A long-standing member of NAFSA's Tax Group, Ms. Singer has spent over 15 years dealing pro bono with tax issues related to the taxation of foreign students and scholars on behalf of the higher education community. Her efforts have included assisting the IRS and NAFSA on the design of the Form 1040NR-EZ and working with the IRS on instructions specific to payment of scholarships and fellowships to nonresident aliens for the new Form W-8BEN. She provided comments to the IRS on the proposed regulations under section 7701(b) defining US tax residency and section 1441 providing procedural rules on withholding and reporting on income payments to nonresident aliens. Her comments resulted in final procedural rules under both sections for preserving tax treaty benefits for foreign national teachers, researchers, students, and trainees who become resident aliens for US tax purposes under the substantial presence test. Ms. Singer has also participated regularly in NAFSA's annual audio conference on Nonresident Alien Taxation.

All international students (incoming or returning) who receive funds for non-qualifying expenses (anything other than tuition, books, equipment and supplies needed to complete their coursework) are taxed at a rate of 14% for F-1 and J-1 visa holders, and 30% for all others. The tax is assessed each semester and placed on the student’s account.