Become a Mentee and Get Connected
Do you need someone to talk to who understands what it means to be an LGBTQIA+ student at UH? Our mentors are here to help you work through any of the following areas in your life:
- Setting and achieving personal goals.
- Exploring your multiple identities (e.g. gender, cultural, religious, sexual orientation, etc.).
- Finding a comfortable place in the community (e.g. UH, Houston, LGBTQIA+, etc.).
- Discovering your purpose in life (e.g. your career path).
- Developing mature relationships (e.g. friends, dating, accessing faculty, etc.)
- Creating a balanced life (e.g. work, rest, and playtime!)
Mentors help you to clarify what you value, and then assist you with taking the steps to accomplish your goals.
The goal of the Peer Mentoring Program is to reduce the stress and isolation that many young people experience when first coming out or other challenges of sexual orientation or gender identity. Our mentors support their mentees in a safe, caring, one-on-one relationship while they work on their personal, social, academic, career, and life goals. Mentors are role models, guides, misconception challengers, motivators, and door openers.
Our mission is to help students develop a positive LGBTQ identity while successfully adapting to life at UH.
Who is this program for?
- Students who identify as LGBTQ, queer, same-gender-loving, as well as any identity that is typically associated with this community (including, but not limited to, pansexual, genderqueer, intersex, etc.)
- Students who think they may no longer identify as straight or traditionally gendered, but are not sure.
- Those in need of support and connection, but not necessarily in need of counseling.
- Those seeking a role-model.
Based on personality, background, goals, and interests, mentors and mentees are matched at various times in the semester. Most matches happen at the beginning of the fall semester around October 1st.
Time Commitment for Mentees
- Orientation with all mentors/mentees where you will meet your mentor (2 hours)
- Weekly contact with your mentor (a minimum of 15 minutes).
- Monthly meeting with your mentor (a minimum of 1 hour).
The Mentee Application Process
All potential mentees must fill out and submit a mentee application to the LGBTQ Resource Center. After applying, the Mentoring Program will contact you to set up an informal meeting at the center or somewhere else on campus you feel comfortable. We want to answer your questions and make sure the mentoring experience is right for both you and your mentor.
Instructions to register:
- Step 1: Sign in to your Access UH account
- Step 2: Click the Get Involved button
- Step 3: Complete the Mentee Application
Please email Lorraine Schroeder if you have any issues.
Becoming a Mentor
For more information visit our mentor page.