The President's Excellence Awards represent a meaningful and tangible way in which the University can acknowledge and reward employees for all of their hard work and dedication to the University’s student education and mission. Please take this opportunity to tell us which of your colleagues deserves such notable recognition.
Who may be nominated for an award?
Employees eligible for awards include staff members from the UH main campus, UH Sugar Land, UH Katy and UH Systems. All benefits-eligible, non-teaching staff employees with at least three (3) years of University service (who have not won a President's or McElhinney award previously) are eligible for President's Excellence Award nomination regardless of their job classification, title, or level within the organization. President's Award winners from the past 3 award years are eligible for the C.F. McElhinney Award.
Who can make nominations?
Any UH employee, faculty or staff, student or community member may nominate qualifying staff employees for consideration.
What are the qualifications for President's Award consideration?
Each award recognizes meritorious service, dedication, and contribution to the university beyond the requirements and expectations of the job. Characteristics of an employee’s performance, which contribute to excellence, include:
- Superior job performance and a high degree of proficiency in their areas of responsibility;
- Outstanding personal traits such as dedication, loyalty, reliability, courtesy, honesty, and initiative;
- Continuous demonstration of service concepts necessary to support the department and the university;
- Initiative in making improvements to work methods, standards, or operations; or developing new programs, services, or cost savings that enhance or support the department of the university; and
- The ability to work cooperatively as a member of the work team
- Takes an innovative approach to problem solving and develops creative strategies to address organizational challenges; and
- Builds and strengthens community by creating partnerships and an environment of collaboration understanding and/or inclusiveness
Can someone win more than one award?
One cannot win more than one award with monetary value during the same year.
Can someone win an award more than once?
The President's Excellence Award and the C.F. McElhinney Award can only be won once.
What is the deadline for submitting nominations?
The nomination period for the 2023 President’s Excellence Awards is Friday, July 21st through Wednesday, August 2nd, 2023. Human Resources must receive all required nomination forms no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 2nd, 2023. In addition to the nomination form, a minimum of two recommendation forms must be submitted to provide further information for consideration.
Who selects the winners?
The Award Selection Committee is comprised of individuals from each University division. They will evaluate all completed nomination materials submitted and select award winners from the categories indicated below.
- Office and Clerical – 3 awards
- Technical, Service, and Craft – 3 awards
- Administrative and Professional – 3 awards
- Effective Leader (Supervisors and/or Managers) – 3 awards
- C.F. McElhinney - 1 award
What does an award winner receive?
In addition to their attendance and recognition at the President’s Awards Ceremony, winners of the President's Excellence Award will also receive a certificate and $1,000.
What does a McElhinney Award winner receive and who is qualified for
All previous President's Excellence Award recipients within the past three years will be eligible for nomination for the Charles F. McElhinney Distinguished Service Award, the highest award given for exemplary staff contribution to the University. The recipient of the C.F. McElhinney Distinguished Service Award will be invited to attend the President's Awards reception, to be recognized, receive a plaque, and $3,000.