Skip to main content

UH Faculty and Staff

The UH Student Health Center is proud to partner with the students of UH on their healthcare journey. We are partially financed by Student Service fees as well as fees for most services. All currently enrolled students at the University of Houston are eligible for all services of the Student Health Center.

In order to maintain our mission of student healthcare, Faculty and Staff are not eligible for services at the Student Health Center.

Faculty or Staff should contact the UH Health Family Care Center, their Primary Care Physician, or a local area Urgent Care Center for their medical needs.

The UH Health Family Care Center is conveniently located in the Health 2 building and accepts third-party commercial insurance, including the UH BCBS Health Select plan. Contact the UH Health Family Care Center with your questions related to insurance and/or other services.

Contact your insurance company for options or go to our After-Hours webpage for local area Convenient or Urgent Care Centers.

Visiting Scholars

Visiting Scholars enrolled in the UH System-endorsed Student Health Insurance Plan are eligible for Primary Care services only. Psychiatry and Orthopedic services are not available to Visiting Scholars.

Visiting Scholars enrolled in other insurance plans are not eligible for services at the Student Health Center.

Department Billing

UH Departments may request that Faculty, Staff, or Students receive their Hepatitis B Immunizations, Hepatitis B Titers, TB Skin Test, or QuantiFERON (QFT) test at the Student Health Center. The charges for these services will be billed directly to the department. Learn more by visiting our Department Billing page.

Campus Pharmacy

The Campus Pharmacy is available to UH Students, Faculty and Staff.

Payment is required at the time of service. The UH Campus Pharmacy accepts most insurance plans for prescription coverage. Many insurance companies provide a special card for pharmacy use to be presented at the time of service. Contact your carrier or we can assist in verifying your coverage.

Worker's Compensation

The UH Health Center DOES NOT treat Worker’s Compensation injuries or illnesses for UH students, employees or employees of other organizations.

Information about how to seek medical treatment or to report a Worker’s Compensation injury/illness can be found at the UH Risk Management Website.

Medical Emergencies

Responding to ON-CAMPUS medical emergencies involving employees, students, or visitors: Faculty, Staff, and Students need to be aware of medical emergency conditions requiring immediate attention. These would include, but are not limited to:

  • Chest Pain
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Symptoms of stroke
  • Altered mental status
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Seizures
  • Overdose-accidental or intentional
  • Major trauma-including head trauma with loss of consciousness or altered mental status, and injuries involving more than one body part
  • Severe allergic reactions with facial swelling and difficulty breathing
  • Severe, intractable pain

In each of the above medical emergency conditions, immediately call 9-1-1 and notify the University of Houston Police at 713-743-3333 (or dial 9-1-1 from a campus phone) and report the nature and severity of the medical problem and the location of the individual needing emergency medical care. If possible, someone should stay with the individual until the University Police officer or EMT arrives. Do not move the individual unless there is an immediate threat to life (i.e. fire, dangerous fumes)

Notifying the University Health Center or transporting the individual experiencing the medical emergency conditions to the Health Center instead of immediately calling 9-1-1 or notifying University Police is not an appropriate, life-saving response. The Health Center is neither staffed nor supplied with medications or devices to administer Advanced Life Support.

Ocular Emergency – University Eye Institute