Source of Strength
Co-sponsored by LeadUH and Cougars in Recovery
This program will engage students who are in recovery from alcohol and/or other addictions through a series of leadership trainings and Cougars in Recovery events.
CIR Leadership Program Philosophy
The three pillars the SOS program is grounded in are leadership, community, and academics.
SOS is a leadership development program designed for CIR community leaders. The purpose of SOS is for participants to cultivate, strengthen, and refine their leadership potential, interpersonal effectiveness and self-confidence. Through involvement in SOS, students can expect a stronger sense of community among their peers. Similarly, participating students can anticipate growth in skills that will enhance the success in their academics.
Mentee Learning Outcomes:
As a result of participating in the SOS Leadership Program, mentees will be able to:
- Demonstrate interpersonal effectiveness (communication, interpersonal relationships)
- Develop life skills (time management, study skills, etc.)
- Explore their career path by discovering their interests and opportunities for the future
- Exhibit increased confidence in self-efficacy
Benefits of Participation
There are many benefits to being an active member of the SOS Leadership Program:
- Learn more about yourself and your abilities as a leader
- Make new friends and build your UH network
- Enhance your recovery foundation
- Build your resume and networking abilities
- Earn a place in the Outdoor Leadership Program
- Be recognized at the annual Graduation Celebration
In order to participate in SOS, students must be a member of the Cougars in Recovery community. If you are interested in participating or learning more about the program, please contact John Shiflet.