Thesis and Dissertation Deadlines
Deadlines for Summer 2020:
Deadline to submit to the Dean’s Office is Wednesday, August 5.
All successfully defended theses and dissertations for the summer term 2020 must be uploaded to the library by Monday, August 10.
For students submitting in Summer 2020: all procedures below apply, except those pertaining to bound copies. For a copy of the updated Spring-summer 2020 procedures, please contact the Graduate Director in your department.
See the Graduate School webpage for tips on doing a virtual thesis defense.
Obtaining College Approval
Once a thesis, dissertation, or senior honors thesis has been successfully defended and approved by a faculty committee, the final version of the manuscript must be submitted to the Dean’s Office of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. The Committee certifies that the manuscript is approved as to style and content, but the Dean’s Office has final authority in the acceptance of the manuscript. The manuscript must be grammatically correct, reflect clear communication ability, and follow the standards presented in this document and in the specific style manual adopted by the program of study. Errors and omissions in the final version of the manuscript may delay the student’s degree conferral. The student should work closely with the advisor on issues of format and style.
The student should submit the properly formatted final copy as a PDF document to the Office of the Dean: CLASSGrad@central.uh.edu; the student’s committee chair should be included on the e-mail to receive a cc: copy. The e-mail should also have attached (as a PDF) the fully signed Written Thesis / Dissertation Approval form. This form can be found on the Graduate School web page.
All documents should be submitted no later than the deadline listed for each semester. Typically this is two weeks prior to the conclusion of the semester. We encourage students to complete earlier than this deadline, to allow time to deal with any formatting or other problems that sometimes emerge at this final stage.
Students wishing to schedule a College review and submission appointment may do so, but such appointments are not required. These must be scheduled and completed prior to the submission deadline. Contact Anna Marchese in the CLASS Dean’s office ( firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule an appointment.
Anna Marchese will notify students once the thesis/dissertation has been reviewed, either to state that approval has been granted or to request any revisions that need to be made. Once approval has been obtained, the student must submit the digital copy and obtain the bound copy (see below). Please allow at least 5 business days for the review process.
Preparing the Official Copy
- Consult with your advisor/committee about the progress of your work, formatting, and content issues early in the semester.
- Physical appearance: left margin is of 1.25”-1.50” and 1” on the remaining three sides.
- All figures or illustrations must be captioned.
- Font, header style, and spacing should be used consistently throughout the thesis.
- There is no fixed style for references, equations, figures and tables, but whatever styles is adopted should be used consistently.
- A consistent form of referencing should be used throughout the thesis. Consult your department to see if it has a preferred style.
- The thesis must be double spaced.
- The type size should be 10-12 pt.
- Copies must be assembled in exact order, including the blank flyleaf pages front and back. See template of front matter on Graduate School web page
- The student is responsible for ensuring that order is followed correctly and that all pages have been included.
- Title page format: the date on the title page should be as follows
May and year for Spring completion
August and year for Summer
December and year for Fall
Submitting the Digital Copy to UH Library
Master’s theses and doctoral dissertations must be submitted electronically to the Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Submission and Management System (ETD) for official archiving. This step is a required part of the degree completion process; degrees will not be conferred if the thesis/dissertation is not uploaded.
- Convert your official manuscript to a PDF (Portable Document File).
- Upload manuscript to the ETD website:
- Logon requires CougarNet Account username and password.
- Once logged on, student will need to:
- Verify personal information
- License agreement
- Provide document information, including the e-mail address of the student’s committee chair
- Upload files
- Confirm and submit
Preparing the Bound Copy
The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences requires that a bound copy of each thesis/dissertation thesis be presented to the student’s home department, if the department requests this.
For the 2019-20 academic year, the English Department is the only CLASS department that does not require its students to submit bound copies of the thesis/dissertation. Students in all other CLASS departments must complete this step.
The student is responsible for all costs and actions associated with binding and printing.
To certify that the student has fulfilled these requirements to deliver a bound copy of the work, the student must submit to the CLASS Dean’s office a copy of the work order from the UH Copy Center showing that the required UH copies are being bound. Please submit these via e-mail to CLASSGrad@uh.edu. Please do not send a copy of the register receipt, only a copy of the work order. Failure to submit this may result in a delay of degree conferral.
- Print one (1) copy of the thesis on quality bond page with a minimum of 25% cotton content. The weight of the paper should be at least 20 lb.
- Submit this copy to the UH Copy Center for binding. Students may take a printed copy to the Copy Center to have that bound, or they may send an electronic copy and ask the Copy Center to do the printing. The Copy Center will provide details on costs and options.
- The student may submit additional copies for personal binding at this time; however the student will be responsible for collecting the personal copies.
- The Dean’s office will distribute one bound copy of the master’s thesis or dissertation to the student’s home department.
The UH Copy Center, located in the UH Welcome Center, may be reached at 713-741-5200. email@example.com. Please allow 4-6 weeks for thesis or dissertation binding.
Senior Honors Theses
Students should follow the procedures outlined above for obtaining College approval and for formatting.
Please e-mailed the signed signature page (as a PDF) when you e-mail the thesis. Once the thesis has been approved, the College will e-mail you a college-signed copy of the signature page.
Follow Honors College instructions for electronically uploading theses.
CLASS does not require students to submit bound copies of the Honors Thesis, but check with the Honors College for any additional requirements on their part.