Skip to main content

Academic Policies


Any student's continuation in the graduate programs of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences is at the discretion of the college, the major department, and the major advisor. A satisfactory rate of progress toward the degree is required throughout a student's enrollment. A department may terminate enrollment at any time if the rate of progress is not satisfactory.

The college requires a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or better, unless the department requires higher grades. 

Continuous Enrollment

A graduate student who cannot enroll in a given semester must apply to the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences for a leave of absence in order to remain in good standing.

A student who interrupts enrollment in a graduate program in the college for more than 13 months and does not have a pre-approved leave of absence petition for that time period must petition to re-enter the program for the appropriate semester. The program of the student who is accepted will be governed by the catalog in effect at the time of the student's reentrance to the graduate program.

CLASS Academic Grievance Policy

In the normal conduct of education at the University of Houston, justifiable grievances may arise concerning the violation of university, college, or department academic policies or procedures. The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS) is committed to resolving these grievances in a fair, orderly, and expeditious manner. To that end, the college has established informal and formal procedures beginning at the department level for settling academic grievances.

An academic grievance refers to an action taken against a student by a member of the faculty (including part-time instructors and teaching assistants), staff, or administration that either violates a university, college, or department academic policy or procedure or prejudicially treats the student on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, handicap, veteran status, or any other nonacademic status.

Because assigning a grade or evaluating a student’s work performance involves the faculty’s professional judgment and is an integral part of the faculty’s teaching responsibilities, disagreement with an instructor concerning a grade or evaluation per se is not a justifiable grievance to be considered under this policy unless factors such as those mentioned in the previous paragraph can be shown to have affected that grade or evaluation. Cases involving nonacademic status categories (noted above) will be referred to the UH Office of Equal Opportunity Services.

Every effort shall be made by a graduate student and the faculty member(s) involved to settle their differences amicably and informally to redress a grievance. Should the difference not be resolved informally, the student may initiate a formal grievance with the department chair according to departmental policies and procedures.

In the event that the grievant or respondent is unsatisfied with the decision at the departmental level, that party may file an appeal with the Office of the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, according to established college procedures. This must be done within 10 working days of the final determination of the grievance at the departmental level.

In the event that the grievant or respondent is unsatisfied with the outcome of the appeal at the college level, the party may file an appeal seeking university-level review according to established procedures as outlined in the Graduate Catalog.

The College procedures for graduate academic grievances can be found here. For further information you may contact the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies or the Graduate Studies Program Director in CLASS.

Incomplete Grades

The grade of I (incomplete) is a conditional and temporary grade given when students are passing a course but, for reasons beyond their control, have not completed a relatively small part of all requirements. Students are responsible for informing the instructor immediately of their reason for not submitting an assignment on time or for not taking an examination. The grade of I must be changed by fulfilling the course requirements within one year of the date awarded, or, in conformity with university policy, the grade will be changed automatically to F or U (in S-U graded courses).


In a 30-hour degree, at least 24 semester hours of credit must be earned in residence at the University of Houston campus. In a 36-hour degree, at least 30 semester hours must be earned in residence. Students enrolled in doctoral programs must have a minimum of one academic year of continuous enrollment to satisfy the college's residence requirement.

Time Limits

A master's degree program must be completed within the period specified by the department, but under no circumstances in more than five years of the date of enrollment in the master's program.

Students who enroll as doctoral candidates must complete their degree requirements within the length of time specified by the department, but in no circumstances more than ten years of the date of first enrollment with a doctoral degree objective. Failure to comply will result in the candidate being ineligible for that doctoral degree.

Doctoral students who fail to complete the dissertation within five years after passing the comprehensive examination must retake the examination. Leaves of absence that have been granted do not extend the above time limits.

Transferred Courses

No more than nine semester hours of transferred courses may be applied to a master's degree. Determination of course equivalency of transferred work resides with the proposed major department. Refer to the university's Transferred Courses rule for more information.

Ad Hoc Interdisciplinary Doctoral Degree Option

Departments granting Doctor of Philosophy degrees may modify their Ph.D. course requirements in individual cases to permit a larger share of course work to take place outside the department. When course requirements are modified, the department must submit the design of the ad hoc interdisciplinary curriculum and the names of the sponsoring department and supporting department graduate faculty members, who are responsible for directing the student through the curriculum and dissertation to the dean for approval. If the dean approves the curricula, a copy of the dean's written approval will be forwarded to the Office of the Senior Vice President/Provost. Doctoral students interested in this option should talk to the director of graduate students in the student's department about the possibility of modifying course requirements.