Bryan Pawlic, front row center, a Chinese Studies major, won First Place in the International Chinese Speech Tournament 汉语桥 2005
Chinese Government Full Scholarship | Shang-Zhih & Lucia Lee Wu 吴尚势与李静安 Scholarship for Excellence in Chinese Studies | Sino-USA Friendship Award | Taiwan Ministry of Education (MOE) Scholarships | Excellence in Chinese Graduate Studies Scholarship
Chinese Government Full Scholarship
From the Chinese Ministry of Education via the Education Office, Consulate General of PRC in Houston
This prestigious scholarship is offered to students in American educational institutions by the Chinese Ministry of Education via the Consulate General of PRC in Houston. The scholarship is intended to strengthen the educational exchanges and cooperation between China and United States. It provides a full scholarship to study in China for one year. The scholarship recipient may choose a university in China.
This scholarship provides registration fee, tuition, laboratory fee, internship and learning materials. It also provides accommodation, monthly living allowance, and a one-off settlement subsidy. Furthermore, it offers medical service and insurance. Scholarships are awarded to students who have demonstrated academic excellence in, and significant commitment to, the study of Chinese.
- be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, and be in good health;
- be a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 35 when applying for master’s programs;
- be a master’s degree holder under the age of 40 when applying for doctoral programs;
- Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship（in Chinese or English）, csc.edu.cn/studyinchina or http://www.campuschina.org
- Notarized highest diploma.
- Academic transcripts: Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
- A Study Plan or Research Proposal in Chinese or English. (A minimum of 200 words for undergraduates, 500 words for non-degree students, and 800 words for postgraduates.)
- Recommendation letters: Applicants for graduate programs or senior scholar programs must submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English from professors or associate professors.
- Applicants for music studies are requested to submit their own works.
- Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the valid documents of their legal guardians in China.
Applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months must submit a photocopy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form completed in English (the original copy should be kept by the applicant. Form can be found here: https://houston.china-consulate.org/chn/zytz/P020190119017045529797.pdf
Application Deadline: April 1, 2019.
Step 1: Visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or www.campuschina.org and click “ Scholarship A pplication O nline for International Students”.
Step 2: Read “ Tips for online application ” carefully.
Step 3: Log in with your user name and password. For new user, please click “Create an account” for registration.
Step 4: Fill in the correct Program Category and Agency Number. An Agency Number represents a specific application receiving agency and a correct choose of Program Category is necessary before filling in the Agency Number. Your ‘Program Category’ is : Type A and ‘ Agency Number’ is:8406 . Once the correct ‘Agency Number’ is entered, the name of the agency will automatically emerge.
Step 5: Fill in the O nline A pplication F orm and Upload Supporting Documents truly, correctly and completely following the steps listed on the left of the page.
Feel free to consult Consul Chen at email@example.com (preferred) or 713-522-0438; Professor Melody Li ( email) and Professor Marshall McArthur ( email)
Shang-Zhih & Lucia Lee Wu 吴尚势与李静安 Scholarship for Excellence in Chinese Studies
Thanks to our generous donors, the Chinese Studies Program is able to award scholarships to students who have demonstrated academic excellence in, and significant commitment to, the study of Chinese. Scholarships will be awarded to students currently enrolled in second to fourth year Chinese courses.
- Enrollment in the Chinese Program during the years 2018-2019.
Although not required, preference will be given to students who have declared majors or minors in Chinese studies.
- Overall minimum GPA of 2.75.
- Overall minimum Chinese GPA of 3.25.
- Applicants should be full time students at the University of Houston.
- Application essay of good quality.
- 3 copies of Shang-Zhih & Lucia Lee Wu 吴尚势与李静安 Scholarship for Excellence in Chinese Studies application form.
- 3 copies of the candidate’s personal statement in English, stating the reasons for the application. (400 words).
- 1 copy of a recent transcript.
NOTE: All completed applications and justifying documents must be turned in to the MCL office (613 AH) or your instructors by April 1, 2019 .
The Chinese Scholarship Committee will select candidates based on academic merit, dedication to the study of the Chinese language and culture, originality of thought and purpose, and contribution to the development of the Chinese language and culture.
Sino-USA Friendship Award
The Award is given annually to students who excel in Chinese language courses at UH. It is sponsored by the Education Office of the Consulate General of PRC in Houston. Students who are currently taking Chinese language and culture courses offered by the China program are eligible to apply. Students should write a brief statement of application and submit it to the instructor of the course. The deadline for the application is April 1, 2019. Please submit your application statement to your course instructor.
Taiwan Ministry of Education (MOE) Scholarships
The Taiwan Ministry of Education provides two scholarships:
- Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES): for Mandarin Chinese language training
- Taiwan Scholarship: for Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctoral program study
Applications are accepted between February 1, 2019 and March 31, 2019.
Huayu Enrichment Scholarship
The Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) encourages American students to undertake Mandarin Chinese language training and courses at Chinese language institutes affiliated with universities or colleges in the Republic of China (Taiwan). There are twelve (12) openings available for 2019-2020. Study periods may be from two months to one year, for applicants from Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas.
Students are responsible for paying tuition, living expenses, but each scholarship recipient will receive a monthly stipend of 25,000 New Taiwan Dollars (approximately $800 per month) to defray these expenses.
The Taiwan Scholarship is intended to support American students pursuing degree programs in the Republic of China (Taiwan). Students must be admitted to a degree program in Taiwan. For detailed instructions and information about this scholarship please download the application materials
Applicants for the HES and Taiwan scholarships must be American nationals above the age of eighteen (18), with a high school diploma or higher degree. Applicants must have excellent academic records, and must be of good moral character. Applications will be submitted to the Education Division of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) in Houston. Applicants must submit an application and a Terms of Agreement form (see download files). Potential applicants may also see detailed information on the scholarships and download application materials here:
If students have further questions they may contact the TECO office directly at: 713-840-3850 or contact Professor McArthur firstname.lastname@example.org
Excellence in Chinese Graduate Studies Scholarship
Excellence in Chinese Graduate Studies ScholarshipThanks to our generous donors, the Chinese Studies Program will be able to award scholarships to incoming and continuing students who have demonstrated academic excellence, and expressed significant commitment to the MA program with a concentration on the study of Chinese. The scholarship gives recipients $1000 per school year with an in-state tuition award.
- The application statement is well-written, demonstrating academic potential and a well-developed plan for the program.
- High overall GPA and Major GPA
- Applicants must be enrolled full time at the University of Houston.
Application documents required:
- One copy of the Excellence in Chinese Graduate Studies Scholarship application form.
- One copy of the candidate’s personal statement for the scholarship in English (500 words).
- One copy of a most recent transcript.
- One copy of your resume.
Deadline: Completed application form and required documents must be submitted via email no later than Dec. 16, 2019 to
Xiaohong (Sharon) Wen,
Professor & Director, Chinese Studies Program.
664 AH, Department of Modern and Classical Languges,
University of Houston, Houston, TX 77204-3006.