Dr. Ashwini Joshi is an Associate Professor with the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at the University of Houston. Dr. Joshi received her doctorate from the University of Kentucky in Rehabilitation Sciences. Her research interests focus on voice and voice disorders. Her current research focuses on identifying low-cost assessment tools for voice disorders and, on post-surgical voice rest.
- Ph.D., Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- M.S., Speech Language Pathology, Bloomsburg University, Bloomsburg, PA
- B.S., Hearing Language Science, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, India
- Voice Disorders (COMD 6387)
- Speech Science (COMD 3385)
Dr. Joshi’s research interests focus on voice and voice disorders. Her current research focuses on identifying low-cost assessment tools for voice disorders and, on post-surgical voice rest.
For more information, view Dr. Joshi’s research page.
(past 5 years)
- 2020-2023 National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Deafness and Communication Disorders (NIH/NIDCD), 1R21DC017205-01A1, Voice Rest Adherence after Phonomicrosurgery. Role: Principal Investigator.
- 2018 Research Progress Grant, Division of Research, University of Houston, Normative Data for Acoustic Analyses of the Voice. Role: Principal Investigator
- 2017 Research Progress Grant, Division of Research, University of Houston. Objective and Subjective Measurement of Two Forms of Voice Rest after Phonosurgery. Role: Principal Investigator
(for a full list of publications, see CV and Google Scholar Profile)
- Nair, R. M.,* Joshi, A., & Gunjawate, D. R. (in press). Knowledge, attitudes and practices towards vocal health care amongst Indian Carnatic singers. Journal of Voice. https://www.jvoice.org/article/S0892-1997(21)00238-1/fulltext
- Joshi, A., Procter, T., & Kulesz, P. A. (in press). Acoustic measures of voice in individuals wearing different facemasks. Journal of Voice. https://www.jvoice.org/article/S0892-1997(21)00201-0/fulltext
- Procter, T.,* & Joshi, A. (in press). Cultural competency in voice evaluation: Considerations of normative standards for sociolinguistically diverse voices. Journal of Voice. https://www.jvoice.org/article/S0892-1997(20)30369-6/fulltext
- Joshi, A., Baheti, I.,* & Angadi, V. (2020). Cultural and linguistic adaptation of the Consensus Auditory Perceptual Evaluation of Voice (CAPE-V) in Hindi. Journal of Speech-Language-Hearing Research, 63(12), 3974-3981.
- Joshi, A. (2020). A comparison of the s/z ratio and instrumental aerodynamic measures. Journal of Voice, 34(4), 533-538.
- Joshi, A., Watts, C. R., & Hathway, J. (2020). Phonation quotient using three aerodynamic instruments in the disordered voice. Journal of Voice, 34(1), 20-24. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2018.08.002
- *Regan, K., & Joshi, A. (2019). A tutorial of the current treatment modalities and voice management in laryngeal cancer. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interests Groups, 4(5), 805-813. doi:10.1044/2019_PERS-SIG3-2019-0003
- Joshi, A. (2019). A comparison of the s/z ratio to instrumental aerodynamic measures of phonation. Journal of Voice. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2019.02.014
- Joshi, A., & Watts, C. R. (2017). Phonation quotient in women: A measure of vocal efficiency using three aerodynamic instruments. Journal of Voice, 31(2), 161-167. doi:10.1016/j.jvoice.2016.06.007
- Joshi, A., & Watts, C. R. (2016). Measurement reliability of phonation quotient derived from three aerodynamic instruments. Journal of Voice, 30(6), 773-e13. doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2015.11.015
- International Student Award, American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation (2009)
- Journal of Voice Editorial Board
- Journal of Speech-Language-Hearing Research Reviewer