Dr. Castilla-Earls obtained her
- Ph.D., Speech-Language Pathology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
- M.S., Bilingual Education, Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia
- B.S., Speech-Language Pathology, Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia
- Language Development (COMD 2339)
Dr. Castilla-Earls' current research is oriented to a) find grammatical markers of language impairments that are accurate and stable across various levels of bilingual proficiency, b) examine current assessment practices in monolingual and bilingual children, and c) promote the systematic use of research-based practices in
(past 5 years)
- 2016-2021 National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIH/NIDCD), K23DC015835, Differentiating First Language Loss from Language Impairment in Bilingual Children, Role: Principal Investigator
- 2014-2017 National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIH/NIDCD), 1R15DC013670-01A1, Evidence-Based Clinical Diagnosis of Specific Language Impairments in Spanish-Speaking Children, Role: Principal Investigator
(for a full list of publications, see CV and Google Scholar Profile)
- Castilla-Earls, A., Perez-Leroux, A. T., Nieto, L., Restrepo, M. A. & Barr, C. (2019) Vulnerability of clitics and articles in typically developing bilingual children. Bilingualism, Language and Cognition, 1-11.
- Castilla-Earls, A., Francis, D., Iglesias, A., & Davidson, K. (2019). The impact of the Spanish to English proficiency shift on the grammaticality of English learners. Journal of Speech Language and Hearing Research, 62(6), 1739-1754.
- Fulcher-Rood, K., Castilla-Earls, A. P., & Higginbotham, J. (2019). Diagnostic decisions in child language assessment: Findings from a case review assessment task. Language, Speech and Hearing Services in Schools, 50(3), 385-393.
- Wood, C., Hoge, R., Schatschneider, C., & Castilla-Earls, A. (2018) Predictors of item accuracy on the Test de Vocabulario en Imagenes Peabody for Spanish-English speaking children in the United States. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, https://doi.org/10.1080/13670050.2018.1547266
- Hernandez, A. E., Claussenius-Kalman, H. L., Ronderos, J., Castilla-Earls, A. P., Sun L., Weiss, S., & Young, D. R. (2018). Neuroemergentism: A framework for studying cognition and the brain. Journal of Neurolinguistics, 49, 214-223.
- Grant Review and Reviewer Training Fellow, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (2015)
- Lessons for Success Fellow, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (2013)
- Clinical Practice Research Institute Fellow, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (2012)