2023 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration
Keeping the Dream Alive: A Call to Action.
The 2023 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration is an opportunity for the University of Houston community to celebrate and reflect on the legacy and life of the most consequential civil rights leader: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
We gather during this time to honor the accomplishments of the movement he led and those social justice achievements that resulted from those inspired by the movement.
This year's theme: Keeping the Dream Alive: A Call to Action, invites us to continue Dr. King's fight for racial and social justice. Preserving the gains of the past requires constant vigilance and action especially when many of those gains are under attack. In addition, the pursuit of equity in areas not fully addressed in Dr. King's time will require the energy, dedication, and commitment of a new generation.
As we embark on the 37th national observance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, let us honor his legacy by not only being concerned with who has a seat at the table but also amplifying the voices of those who may be silenced at the table and advocating for those who do not even have access to the room.
Watch the livesteam!
2023 Schedule of Events
MLK Jr. Essay Contest
- by Student Government Association
- Interested UH students will submit a 2-page essay on the prompt "the dream is alive". This essay should center around MLK and the message. Students will submit the essays to email@example.com. The winners will be announced on with a special video message from the UH SGA cabinet on social media on January 23.
- First place: AirPods Pro (2nd generation)
- Second place: $100 Amazon gift card
- Third place: UH SGA swag
MLK Jr. Gallery
- Student Centers
The Original MLK Jr. Parade & Festival
- Midtown Houston
MLK Jr. BBQ
- The MLK BBQ is an annual cookout hosted by the Eta Mu chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. on campus to celebrate the works of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Join us for food, drinks, and games!
Free Wednesday Lunch
- A.D. Bruce Religion Center, 2nd Floor Atrium
- 11:30am - 1:00pm
- Sponsored by Dean of Students Office
BSU Slam Poetry
- 6:30pm - 8:00pm; SC South Theater
- Black Student Union brings back slam poetry, an event that showcases students performing poems inspired by the importance of MLK and Black History in America.
When They See Us Watch Party
- Doors open at 5:30pm; 6:00pm - 8:00pm
- SC Theater
- Please join us for a screening and discussion of When They See Us, a miniseries created and directed by Ava DuVernay, based on events of the 1989 Central Park jogger case and the lives of the five Black and Latino male suspects, including our 2023 MLK Speaker, Dr. Yusef Salaam. Free popcorn, cotton candy and refreshments!
Dr. MLK Jr. Commemorative Celebration Featuring Dr. Yusef Salaam
- 3:15pm - 5:30pm; SC South Houston Room
- The 2023 Dr. MLK Jr. Commemorative Celebration will feature Prison Reform Activist and Justice Seeker Dr. Yusef Salaam, who was wrongfully convicted in the “Central Park Jogger” case along with four other Black and Latinx young men, known as “The Exonerated Five”. Pre-register today!
- 3:15 pm: Doors Open
- Call to Action Networking Hour with Greater Houston Community Organizations and Registered Student Organizations; local treats and drinks will be provided. Free and open to all!
- 4:00-5:30 pm: Celebration featuring Houston Poet Laureate, Outspoken Bean.
- Keynote Address and Conversational Interview by Dr. Yusef Salaam
- by African American Studies
- 12:00pm - 1:00pm; SC South Bayou City Room
- There was more to MLK than his “dream”. Join us as we dig into some of his lesser-known speeches and reveal unexplored facts about the man, his philosophy, and his life’s work.
SPB Movie Showing: King Richard
- by Student Program Board
- SC Theater – Doors open at 5:30pm; 6:00pm - 8:00pm
- Join the Student Program Board for a showcase of the film King Richard, a look at how tennis superstars Venus and Serena Williams became who they are after coaching by their father Richard Williams. King Richard is a story about hard work and determination, overcoming obstacles, and triumph in the face of adversity and discrimination.
- January 27, 2023
- 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Join us for an afternoon of service in support of the Houston Community! Projects will include painting mugs, making no-sew blankets, and more. Lunch, a t-shirt, and materials required for service projects will be provided for all volunteers. Learn more.