Ph.D. Program Frequently Asked Questions

What is the GPA requirement for the Ph.D. Program?

It is required that you have a master’s degree GPA of 3.5 and an undergraduate degree GPA of 3.0 on the last 60 credit hours.

What is the minimum GRE score requirement?  What is the average score of student entering the program?

We do not have a minimum score requirement, however we find that scores at or above 1,000 (on the old GRE score scale); or 297 (on the new GRE score scale) to be competitive.

Do you have funding for Ph.D. students?

Research assistantships, fellowships, and/or partial tuition assistance are usually available to most full-time Ph.D. students. Scholarships are also awarded based upon the funding availability, student qualifications, and research interests. In general, no guarantees can be made for multiple-year support.

Can any of the degrees be completed online?

Currently the Ph.D. Program does not offer on-line courses nor has an online program.

What is the deadline to apply? Can someone apply late?

January 15th is our application deadline date. Therefore, all application materials must be received no later than January 15th. Incomplete applications cannot be reviewed. You are encouraged to begin the application process early.

What’s the fee to apply?

There is a $100 non-refundable application fee.

How can I learn more about the program?

Prospective applicants are encouraged to attend one of the Information Sessions scheduled at the GCSW in the Fall and early Spring. Individuals can also request information online.

How long does the program take to complete?

Doctoral course work consists of 39 credit hours plus an additional 9 credit hours of dissertation research. The program is designed so that full time students can complete all of their course work in two years.

Can you apply to the Ph.D. Program without an MSW? If so, what types of degrees are acceptable or desirable?

While our preference is for applicants to have a MSW, we will consider applicants who have education/experience in human services or the social and behavioral sciences.

Do you have a dual MSW/Ph.D. Program?

Yes, the Graduate College of Social Work offers a dual program to obtain the M.S.W. and Ph.D. degrees.

How do I find out about the status of my application once I apply?

You may log-in onto the University’s system at or you may contact the GCSW Admissions Office at or 713-743-8130.

How many students are in the program?

The program has around 30 students in various stages of enrollment.  Each fall we have space for a cohort of 6 to 8 students.