Awards provided under this policy have a project ID beginning in R (Research Investments) or I (Internal Awards). Additionally, project ID’s beginning in C and with a fund code of 5999 (TRIP Matches) are also covered in these terms. Note: all other C projects are under the purview of the Office of Contracts and Grants.
Research Investments, Internal Awards, and TRIP funds are administered by the Division of Research Business Operations.
Sharon Kuang (Research Investments and TRIP)
Kenneth Jones (Internal Awards)
Use of Funds
Please note that it is DOR’s position that all funding provided should be used for the purpose, and within the time period, for which the funding was approved, regardless of the flexibility of the funding source. See below for any restrictions by fund code.
Any requests to change how awards may be used must be accompanied by an Award Modification Request Form. Please submit the completed form together with the required attachments and approvals to email@example.com, who will route to DOR approvers for consideration of the budget revision.
- Research Investments are all cost centers with a project ID beginning with an R.
- Cost Share investments (project ID name includes “CS” and/or program code is B0416)
- Must follow the requirements of the external sponsored project with which it is associated. E.g., if a charge is unallowable or not allocable to the external cost center, then it cannot go on the internal cost sharing account, either.
- Purchases on a PO for cost sharing must also follow the purchase timeline requirements associated to the sponsored project.
- Faculty startup, match investments, core facilities, and equipment investments:
- We have discovered that requisitions can be routed, approved, and ordered in the accounting end date time span, although ordering actions past the end of the project should be unallowable. We are clarifying what is acceptable and what needs a request for extension here.
- If the requisition is executed (i.e., started and through to purchasing) by the end date of the project, then it is an acceptable purchase. If need be, we will extend the award to allow it.
- If the requisition is not submitted to purchasing before the end date of the project, then an extension request needs to be in place, or the order may need to be moved to another funding source.
- All cost centers with a project ID beginning with an I
- For all internal awards (except Technology Gap Funds), regardless of source or type: all equipment purchases should be made within the first three months of the award
Faculty Startups: Early Release Requests
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and cc Pam Muscarello
- Please restrict to rare cases
- We will need the following documentation for the new faculty hire:
- Hiring documentation (E.g., offer letter with acceptance, equipment list, and costing sheet)
- Empl ID
- Cougarnet ID
Neither OCG nor DOR Business Operations need to sign payroll/journal reallocations, or other expenditure documents associated to this internal funding.
Timing of Use of Funds and Special Timing Circumstances
All funds provided should be used within the time period for which the funding was provided. Unspent funds will no longer be available for use after the expiration date. If you have justifiable reasons why funds were not used within the grant’s approved timeframe and you need an extension to finish your project, please fill out the Award Extension Request Form that can be found on the link below. Upon approval by the PI and Chair/Dean, please submit the completed form (link below) together with the required attachments to email@example.com, who will route to DOR approvers for consideration of the extension. http://www.uh.edu/research/resources/dor-forms/rif/rif-extension.pdf
For ALL internal awards, regardless of source or type: any compliance-related approvals associated with the internal award (human and animal protocol approval, biological/radiation safety reviews) must be setup and congruent with the proposed research project within three (3) months of the award letter, or the internal award will be cancelled.
Restrictions by fund code
Regardless of these flexibilities, these funds should only be used as proposed to and approved by DOR.
Fund Code 1008 or 1043, HEAF, Higher Education Assistance Fund: Restrictions or Guidance: http://www.uh.edu/research/resources/business-tools/heaf-guide/
Fund Code 1026, E&G State Support: No construction or renovations. May not be used as noted in the Account List online found at: http://www.uh.edu/finance/pages/References.htm and click "Account List" at the top of the webpage, see section on state funds.
Fund Code 1099, RDF, Research Development Fund: No construction or renovations; Texas Education Code Sec. 62.097, which was removed effective 9/1/15. However, remaining funds should be used as originally noted in the Code to "promote increased research capacity at the institution;" funds expire and are returned to the state at the end of the biennium unless encumbered using an official purchase order issued by Purchasing.
Fund Code 1101, Special Item Appropriation: Directly from the State for projects not funded by formula, but specifically identified as needing support. Unallowable for capital expenditures, prior biennium expenses. Lapses if not spent by 8/31 of the biennium.
Fund Code 1121, NRUF, National Research University Fund: No construction or renovations. Texas Education Code Sec 62.149, "for the support and maintenance of educational and general activities that promote increased research capacity at the institution." " (1) providing faculty support and paying faculty salaries; (2) purchasing equipment or library materials; (3) paying graduate stipends; and (4) supporting research performed at the institution, including undergraduate research."
Fund Code 1124, CRS, Core Research Support Fund: No construction or renovations; Texas Education Code Sec. 62.131 to “promote increased research capacity at emerging research universities.”
Fund Code 2064, Designated Tuition. May not be used as noted in the Account List online found at: http://www.uh.edu/finance/pages/References.htm and click "Account List" at the top of the webpage, see section on 2064 funds.
Fund Code 2072 or 2091, IDC, Indirect Cost Returns: May not be used as noted in the Account List online found at: http://www.uh.edu/finance/pages/References.htm and click "Account List" at the top of the webpage.
Fund Code 2078: No additional restrictions.
Fund Code 2086, IP Royalties, Intellectual Property Royalties: No additional restrictions.
Fund Code 5999, TRIP, Texas Research Incentive Program: Texas Education Code Sec. 62.122, "for the enhancement of research productivity and faculty recruitment."