Department of Hispanic Studies
The University of Houston
416 Agnes Arnold Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3062
M.A. in Spanish
The M.A. program in Spanish offers a perfect academic environment for students interested in advanced studies in the fields of Hispanic, Latin American and Peninsular Literature, and Spanish Linguistics. The program has been designed to provide knowledge and develop critical thinking on traditional and modern approaches used in the mentioned fields. The main goal of the M.A. program in Spanish is the preparation of future professionals to develop successful careers in education, administration, interpretation, and translation in diverse public and private institutions. The M.A. program in Spanish provides a strong preparation to pursue more advanced studies at the Ph.D. level.
Minimum requirements for unconditional admission to the graduate program in Spanish
- A Bachelor's Degree in Spanish from an accredited institution, with an overall grade point avage of at least 3.0 (A=4.0) for the last 60 hours of course credit.
- Students who have a Bachelor's Degree in a field other than Spanish must take the following courses before entering the M.A. (equivalent courses taken in other institutions are accepted):
- SPAN 3384: Introduction to Hispanic Literature
- SPAN 4355: Introduction to Spanish Linguistics
- Two 4000-level courses according to the student's interest
Beside SPAN 3384 and SPAN 4355 courses on Hispanic culture and business Spanish are highly recommendable for M.A./MBA applicants.
- A brief statement in Spanish (about 200 words) explaining why you wish to study Spanish at the graduate level.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors detailing the potential of the candidate as a graduate student.
- Graded writing sample from upper level Spanish Courses.
- Acceptable scores on the General Aptitude section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).*
- A score of at least 213 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL, international students only, unless they have earned a college degree from an American university)**
SPEAK Test required for Students requesting TA/TF - minimum score: 50
Once admitted to the program
- No course in which a grade below B- (2.67) is received may count towards Master's degree.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 (B) for all graduate courses attempted is required for a graduate degree.
- Failure to maintain this average will result in a warning, probation, or suspension.
Comprehensive written and oral examinations are required to obtain the degree
- Scheduled during the last semester of course work
Documentation to be provided by the applicant
- Completed Application Form
- Two official transcripts (sent directly by the Institution to the Graduate Director)
- Two letters of recommendation (sent directly to the Graduate Director by those recommending the applicant (note: not by the student))
- Writing sample
- Statement in Spanish indicating why you wish to pursue the M.A. in this field
- Official GRE scores (have sent directly to University of Houston)
- Official copy of TOEFL score (international students only)
- Application Fees
- National Graduate
- Total cost, $75.00
- Payable to University of Houston
- International Graduate Student
- Total cost, $150.00
- Payable to University of Houston
- Spring semester, Last Friday of September
- Fall semester, Last Friday of January
Send documentation to:M.A. in Spanish Program
Dept. of Hispanic Studies University of Houston
Houston, Texas 77204-3062
Phone: (713) 743-3007
Fax: (713) 743-0935
For applications and advisement, please write to or call the above, or e-mail:
- Dr. Paola Arboleda-Rios, Graduate Advisor, at email@example.com
- Dr. Gabriela Baeza Ventura, Director of Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Phone interviews will be conducted after application file is reviewed.