Why study English?
The classic liberal arts degree has long been valued in the United States as a good starting point for a wide range of professional paths, from journalism and teaching to public relations and the law. Today, the English degree remains a way in which students can enrich their appreciation of life, society, and culture while simultaneously preparing for the wide range of career opportunities that require critical thinking and lucid, well-organized writing.
The Upper Division of the English Department graduates many English majors each year with concentrations in Literature, Linguistics, or Creative Writing. Many students also choose to pursue a Minor in English.
- Major and Minor in English
- Career resources and opportunities for majors
- Awards and scholarships available to English Majors
- Spring 2017 Course Descriptions available
- Spring 2017 Creative Writing Course Descriptions
Mr. L. Wayne Ashley
Ms. Kimberly Cooks