The TC Energy Summer Scholars Academy offers an intensive 9-week online program that is designed for students who have an outstanding high school academic record and are interested in majors in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (NSM) or the Cullen College of Engineering. Summer scholars can earn credit for Calculus 1 (MATH 1431), receive a preview of Chemistry 1 (CHEM 1331) up to the first exam, and College Success (CORE 1100) content. Upon successful completion of the program, students will be evaluated for admittance into their first-choice major in NSM or Engineering if they didn’t meet automatic admission requirements.
The program is supported through a gift from the TC Energy Foundation.
Dates & Times
June 8–August 7, 2020
9 am–3 pm
- Be a first-time college student admitted to UH for Fall 2020
- Select NSM or Engineering as a first-choice major
- Have a math SAT score above 550
- Received credit or currently taking pre-calculus in high school
- Must plan to attend UH in the fall
The program will cover the cost of Tuition and Fees.
What to Expect
- An online, rigorous, fast-paced environment that is structured to give participants support to successfully complete MATH 1431 and transition into college
- Daily homework
- Learn and strengthen critical thinking and master self-management
- Network with faculty, staff and administrators
- Connect with other first year STEM students at UH
The Frequently Asked Questions page offers answers to common questions about the program.
How to Apply
Space for this program is very limited, and students will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis. If the program reaches capacity prior to May 16, your application will not be reviewed. Please complete the next steps below as soon as possible.
- Complete the TC Energy Summer Scholars Academy application by May 16. To view a pdf version of the application, please click here.
- Attend a Summer Scholars Information Session
Join Us for an Online Information Session
Information sessions are an opportunity for students and their parents to get additional information about the program and ask questions. Join us at one of the sessions listed below:
- Thursday, March 26, 6 to 7 pm
- Friday, March 27, 12 pm (noon) to 1 pm
- Monday, March 30, 11 am to 12 pm (noon)
- Thursday, April 2, 6 to 7 pm
- Friday, April 3, 12 pm (noon) to 1 pm
- Monday, April 6, 11 am to 12 pm (noon)
- Thursday, April 9, 6 to 7 pm
- Friday, April 10, 12 pm (noon) to 1 pm
- Monday, April 13, 11 am to 12 pm (noon)
- Thursday, April 16, 6 to 7 pm
- Friday, April 17, 12 pm (noon) to 1 pm
- Monday, April 20, 11 am to 12 pm (noon)
RSVP for Information Session
Please contact Ashley Askew at email@example.com with any questions.
Project Title: Houston-Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation: Senior Alliance. NSF Award number: 1911310.