The University of Houston’s Next Generation Leadership Academy directed by the Hobby School of Public Affairs is a leadership development program designed for undergraduate students seeking careers focused on public service and social impact. The program provides experiential learning opportunities and specialized academic courses to equip candidates for outstanding careers.
Students will learn the tools critical in cross-collaboration between industry sectors and be able to develop informed solutions that address community and governmental challenges. Additionally, Next Generation Leadership Academy students can benefit from the professional skills development and strategic networking contacts established through existing Hobby School internship programs in Houston, Austin and Washington, D.C.
The Next Generation Leadership Academy is now recruiting for the second cohort set to launch in fall 2023. The Academy is open to all University of Houston undergraduate students who are at least in their second year of school, with priority given to juniors and seniors.
Next Generation Leadership Academy students will be required to complete the Hobby School of Public Affairs’ Public Leadership minor (15 hours), with a minimum of two approved internships within two different sectors: public (government), non-profit, or private. Students who complete the NextGen program benchmarks (courses, internships, workshops and projects) at the end of their junior and senior years as defined by the Hobby School will be awarded $2,000 to recognize program participation.
Ideal candidates possess:
- commitment to impacting their communities through service learning
- excitement about cross-collaboration opportunities with individuals within different industry sectors
- students who believe in their capacity to create policy changes and are eager to develop the necessary tools to create this change
- demonstrated dedication to public service through volunteerism in school and/or community activities
Personal interviews, academic achievement, participation in community and school activities, previous internships and/or professional experience, and financial hardship are factors considered in the selection process.
- The application to participate in the Academy is now open! The application is due on June 1, 2023. Access the application here.
- Email Emily Janowski, Hobby School of Public Affairs Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hobby School is proud to offer the Next Generation Leadership Academy as part of the Volcker Alliance’s Next Generation Service Corps to increase public service participation, inclusive leadership, and constructive collaboration to inspire and prepare college students to serve their communities and the nation.
Press Release, April 18, 2022