- May 2003: Doctor, Curriculum and Instruction majoring Instructional Technology, College of Education, University of Houston
- May 1994: Master, TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language), Graduate School of Education, Oral Roberts University
- July 1982: Bachelor, English Language and Literature, Zhejiang University, P.R. China
- Y. Liu (2010). Social media tools as a learning resource. International Journal of Technology in Teaching & Learning. p. 101-114. Volume 3, Issue 1. 2010
- Liu, Y. (2010). Educational technology consulting and support services. In Ouyang, R. & Wang, C. (Eds.), Instructional technology - Critiques on the Development of Social Sciences in the West.
- April 2003: Phi Beta Delta, International Scholar Award
- 2000 – 2002: Graduate Fellowship, College of Education, University of Houston.