The COAST Zipcar incentive is currently on hold due to reasons related to COVID-19, and we hope to be able to resume the program in Fall 2021.
In an effort to better serve UH’s ever-growing campus and community, Parking and Transportation Services offers eligible faculty, staff and students the opportunity to join COAST (Coogs on Alternative and Sustainable Transportation), an incentive program for individuals who carpool or utilize alternative and sustainable options to get to campus.
COAST was launched in 2016 and aligns with a critical goal of the University's long-term growth plan that aims to minimize the number of vehicles traveling to and parking on campus, while also reducing Houston’s carbon footprint by relieving traffic congestion and improving the region’s air quality.
Individuals who are interested in participating in COAST or learning more about it can reach out to the COAST team by:
- Setting an appointment to meet in person through the COAST Express online appointment booking system, or
- Sending an email to email@example.com.
Please note, COAST participants will be asked to sign a commuter pledge that states that members of COAST agree to not participate in any other UH PTS subsidized programs.
The COAST program is located in the Parking and Transportation Services customer service office in University Lofts, Suite 101.
Tips for Carpooling During Pandemic
- If possible, use larger vehicles to encourage social distancing. Stagger passengers by row and left to right to the extent possible.
- Wear a face covering.
- Disinfect frequently used surfaces in the vehicle (seats, seatbelts, armrests, door frame/handles) with an EPA- or CDC-approved disinfectant.
- Follow good hygiene practices. All carpoolers are encouraged to wash their hands before and after each carpool. Carry hand sanitizer.
- Do not eat in the vehicle.
- Turn on the fresh air setting. Do not recirculate the air. Carpoolers are encouraged to increase the airflow into the car during trips by opening the front passenger window and the diagonal rear window. Carpoolers are discouraged from using air conditioning during trips.
- Drivers and passengers should each handle their own personal items.