Skip to main content

International Student FAQs

The Application Process

How do I apply for admission to the University of Houston as an international undergraduate student?
First, submit the application for admission. Next, submit all the required documents and transcripts. Questions along the way? Contact the Office of Admissions anytime.
How much does it cost to apply to the University of Houston as an international student?
The application fee for international students (non-U.S. citizens or permanent residents) is $90 (non-refundable).
I have lived in Texas for five years, and I have documents from a school in a foreign country. How do I apply?
First, submit the application for admission. Next, submit all the required documents and transcripts. Your foreign academic transcripts will be evaluated by the Office of International Admissions to determine your admissibility to the University of Houston.
How do I find out the status of my application?
You can monitor the status of your application here. You will also receive regular updates by mail.
Are there deadlines for applying to the University of Houston?
Application deadlines vary from year to year, and some colleges and departments have different deadlines too. You can check this year's deadlines here.
How do I pay the application fee?
You have three choices in paying the application fee:
  1. Pay the fee with a valid credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover) when you apply online.
  2. After applying, you can pay by credit card by logging into myUH and clicking on Student Admission, then "Application Fee Payment." You will need your myUH ID, which is assigned when your application is submitted. 
  3. Mail a check or money order directly to the University of Houston at the address shown below. Check or money order must be payable to: University of Houston.

Office of Admissions
University of Houston
Welcome Center
4400 University Drive
Houston, TX 77204-2023

May I translate my documents and have them notarized?
No, all documents must be translated by either the school issuing the document or by a licensed translator. The University reserves the right to accept or deny translations.

English Requirements

Why do I need to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS)?
TOEFL or IELTS is required of students whose countries official native language is not English.
Am I exempt from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)?
You are exempt from the TOEFL requirement if you:
  • Have earned a high school diploma, AA, AS or bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited U.S. high school, college or university.
  • Have obtained a secondary school degree or higher from a country where English is spoken as the native language.
  • Have completed Level 6 of the Language and Culture Center, this exemption only applies to undergraduate students.
  • Have completed your education in one of the following countries; Australia, the English Speaking Caricom countries together with the British overseas territories: Anguilla, Antigua, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Montserrat, St.Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and The Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago; the English-speaking Canadian provinces, the Fiji Islands, Liberia, New Zealand, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Trinidad, The United States, the United Kingdom, the Virgin Islands, the West Indies and Zimbabwe.
What score do you require on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)?
The score requirement is based on the type of TOEFL examination taken; a score of 550 on the paper exam and the ITOEFL (Institutional TOEFL) and 79 on the internet-based exam is considered passing. Some graduate programs may require higher scores for admission.
What score do you require on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)?
An Overall band score of 6.5 is required for admissions.

Transferring Credit

Does UH grant transfer credit hours?
It is the policy of the university to transfer course work completed at U.S. colleges and universities and foreign university-level institutions that are recognized by the proper academic accrediting authorities.
What do I need to do to get transfer credits for my previous studies at foreign institution?
Credit will be granted with respect to University of Houston degree requirements in effect at the time of enrollment. In certain subjects such as architecture, business, engineering, education, hotel restaurant management and technology, transfer credit may be obtained on an individual basis. In addition to a syllabus, applicants may have to submit other course materials (e.g., class examinations, homework assignments, etc.). An evaluation for course work completed outside the United States will not be completed unless an official syllabus, catalog, calendar or bulletin is submitted. The student may translate all course descriptions.
When will my foreign transfer credits be evaluated?
An official evaluation for transferring students will be done during your first enrolled semester. Those whose initial registration occurs during the summer session will receive an evaluation of foreign course work by the registration period for the following spring semester. If the syllabus is not submitted by the deadline, coursework will be granted only in "general", or "no credit".
Will I receive transfer credits for my English classes if my native language is not English?
Transfer credit will not be given for English classes taken in a country where the native language is not English.
Will I receive transfer credits for my first degree from a school outside US?
If you have earned a bachelor's degree or higher, you will be considered for studies as a post baccalaureate in the undergraduate major selected. As a post baccalaureate student, a transfer credit evaluation will only be done by a request from the department of your major in case you are pursuing a second bachelor degree.
Does UH accept credits for Advance or Advance Supplementary level courses?
The University of Houston grants credit for A/AS level courses (grade 'C' and higher).
Does the University of Houston accept credit for International Baccalaureate work?
The International Baccalaureate is an international program of courses and examinations offered at the high school level. In accordance with Section 51.968 of the Texas Education Code, we will grant at least 24 credit hours in appropriate subject areas to an entering freshman student for successful completion of the IB Diploma program. The institution may grant fewer than 24 credit hours if the student received a score of less than four on an examination administered as part of the diploma program. Students who submit scores of 4 or higher on IB Standard Level (SL) Examination will receive credit if they have also earned the IB diploma. UH also offers credit for scores of 4, 5, 6, or 7 on the International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher-Level (HL) Examinations.

To request credit, you should send your scores to the Executive Director of Learning & Assessment Services for evaluation.

Please visit to order your Official IB Transcripts. UH Institution Code: 01409.

Texas Residency

Which visas are eligible to domicile in the state of Texas?

A complete list of visas and information concerning whether they can domicile in Texas is located on the Coordinating Board of Texas website. Students who hold one of these valid visas and who meet our general requirements may be considered for in-state tuition. For consideration, please verify eligibility on the Coordinating Board of Texas website and submit a residency questionnaire (PDF) along with supporting documentation to the University of Houston. Residency questionnaires are usually processed within 10 working days.

An example of sufficient documentation for an H-4 student is: A valid H-4 visa, the valid H1B visa for the spouse/parent on which the student is basing his/her claim, and a letter of employment which shows full-time employment for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the student's anticipated enrollment. Residency questionnaires are not processed for applicants who have not yet applied to the university.

Foreign students who have filed for permanent resident status (I-130, I-485) can be considered for in-state tuition if general requirements have also been met.

What are the requirements for paying in-state tuition in Texas in regard to International Students?

Generally, students holding F-1 visas are not eligible to be considered Texas residents for tuition purposes. Due to the nature of the F-1 visa, F-1 visa holders are not eligible to domicile (see list below) and do not qualify for a resident classification.  However, if a student with an F-1 visa ALSO has an application for permanent residence (1-485 application) pending with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) the student may be eligible to qualify for in state residency. The general requirements for establishing residency will apply. Please email if you feel you meet these qualifications and would like more information about receiving in state tuition.

What is Senate Bill 1528, who qualifies for it and if eligible what needs to be done to apply for it?

Senate Bill 1528 grants residency for tuition purposes to noncitizens, nonpermanent residents, and visa holders. If a student attends a Texas high school for 36 months prior to graduation or resides in Texas for 36 months prior to the receipt of a GED, the student will qualify for resident tuition (see affidavit below for requirements). If you believe you are eligible for Senate Bill 1528, you must submit a signed and notarized affidavit and an official high school transcript/GED certificate with date and scores.

What is a tuition waiver and where do I get more information about it?

Nonresidents and Foreign Nationals on F-1 visas may be eligible for reduced tuition rates by qualifying for tuition waivers. Waiver examples include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Students awarded competitive scholarships in the amount of $1,000+ for one academic year
  • Graduate/teaching/research assistants from state-supported institutions who are seeking employment waivers for themselves or their dependents
  • Military waivers for personnel and their dependents whose state of home record is not Texas

Go to the Office of Student Financial Services (Bursar) in the Welcome Center (corner of Calhoun Road and University Drive), for tuition waiver information.

Who may I contact with further questions about residency?

New students who have questions about residency should contact the Office of Admissions in the Welcome Center or they may submit questions to

Former and current students who have completed their first semester should contact the Office of the University Registrar in the Welcome Center or call (713) 743-1010, option 7.