It's never too early or late to plan for your college education. The University of Houston supports non-traditional college age students getting a start towards a degree. The Adult Admission Program is designated to facilitate the admission of adult students.
You may be considered for the Adult Admissions Program (AAP) if you:
- at minimum hold a high school diploma or equivalent
- have not been enrolled in a high school or regionally accredited college-level program for the past five years
- are at least 25 years of age by the last day of late registration for the semester of attendance
- have never enrolled as a student at UH (if so, see information for former students)
This program does not apply to currently and/or previously enrolled students, international students, or Post-Baccalaureate applicants.
How to Apply
- Complete the Adult Admissions Program application by the term's deadline. Email a copy of your application to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to University of Houston, 4434 University Drive, Houston, TX 77204.
- Pay the nonrefundable $75 application fee with a check or money order. Checks can be made out to the University of Houston, 4434 University Drive, Houston, TX 77204.
Applicants who have completed any education outside the U.S. must submit evidence of English proficiency. A score of 550 or higher (79 or higher on the internet-based exam), on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required. Applicants are expected to complete the essay section of the TOEFL whenever it is included as part of the exam. Students from Australia, the Bahamas, Belize, the British Isles, English-speaking Canadian provinces, the Fiji Islands, Jamaica, Liberia, New Zealand, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Trinidad, the Virgin Islands, the West Indies, and Zimbabwe and those who speak English as their native language are exempt from taking the TOEFL. An Associate of Arts degree will generally not exempt an applicant from the TOEFL requirement.
How the Program Works
Students admitted to through the Adult Admissions Program have a non-degree seeking status. Re-registering for courses in this admission category requires students to maintain a minimum 2.00 cumulative grade point average in the previous semester of enrollment.
Students who wish to change their admission status to degree seeking must complete 18 semester hours. The hours earned at the University of Houston will count towards a degree as long as students are fully admitted to a major and the courses are applicable to the degree plan. Complete the Adult Admissions Program Status Change Form to request a degree status change.
AAP Status Change Form
Students initially enrolled in the Adult Admission Program have a non-degree status and are not eligible for financial assistance. Financial aid will be processed during the semester following the completion of 18 semester hours.
Eligible veterans may use veterans’ benefits under this program. Please contact Veterans’ Services Office for more information at 713-743-5490.
|Term||Application Type||Open Date||Close Date|
|Summer 2019||U.S. Freshman||8/1/2018||5/1/2019|
|Fall 2019||Scholarship Priority Deadline||8/1/2018||11/15/2018|