Academic Fresh Start
Academic Fresh Start is an opportunity for new and former students to have earned coursework 10 or more years old to be ignored for admission purposes. Once ignored, this coursework cannot be used at UH for admission, course prerequisites or degree requirements.
Official transcripts from all colleges attended, including transcripts that include coursework completed 10 or more years old, must be sent to the University of Houston Office of Admissions. Students choosing Academic Fresh Start, however, must meet current admission requirements with coursework taken within the past 10 years.
- Learn more about Academic Fresh Start by visiting the Undergraduate Catalog
- Apply for admission using the Apply Texas Application or The Common Application. Submit just one application.
- Submit the Academic Fresh Start Acknowledgement Form to Admissions
Dates and Deadlines:
|Term||Application Type||Open Date||Close Date||Transcripts Due|
|Spring 2021||Academic Fresh Start||8/1/2020||12/1/2020||12/16/2020|
|Summer 2021||Academic Fresh Start||9/1/2020||5/3/2021||5/10/2021|
|Fall 2021||Academic Fresh Start||8/1/2020||5/31/2021||6/7/2021|
Freshman Admission Appeals
Freshman applicants to the University of Houston who do not meet regular admission requirements may request further consideration by submitting a Freshman Admissions Appeal Form. An appeal to reconsider our original admission decision may or may not change the decision. Generally, less than 25 percent of the appeals will result in a changed admissions decision. Students are encouraged to appeal only if (1) their academic credentials (test scores and/or grades) have changed significantly or (2) they wish to provide additional information that further explains personal circumstances that may have affected their ability to meet admissions requirements.
- Submit the Freshman Admissions Appeal Form to Admissions
- Wait up to 5 business days for items to load in your myUH account
- Upload the required items listed below directly to your myUH account. Please see the Appeal Form for descriptions of each item.
- Personal Statement
- Letters of Support
- Updated High School Transcript (Unofficial)
- Official College Transcript - Only for students earning dual credit for college courses in high school.
- At least TWO SAT or ACT scores - Scores must be submitted electronically through College Board or ACT. **In response to COVID-19, 2020 appeal candidates will only require one test score.**
Dates and Deadlines:
|Term||Application Type||Open Date||Close Date|
|Spring 2020||Freshman Admissions Appeal||Not Available||Not Available|
|Summer 2020||Freshman Admissions Appeal||1/1/2020||5/8/2020|
|Fall 2020||Freshman Admissions Appeal||1/1/2020||7/17/2020|