Skip to main content

Credits & Transfers

We understand that transfer students come to UH with valuable academic and life experience. That’s why we work hard to grant credit for the courses you’ve already taken.

Electronic transcripts are strongly encouraged as this helps process your transfer credit in a more expedient fashion.

Transfer of College Credits

Evaluations of transfer work are made in the Office of Admissions. The application of transfer credit toward a degree at the University cannot be determined until the transcript has been evaluated and a degree plan has been made.

The evaluations of international transfer credits are processed by the Office of Admissions, once all required documents are submitted (complete transcripts, syllabus/catalog) during the first enrolled semester. The application of transfer credit toward a degree at the University cannot be determined until the transcripts have been evaluated and degree plan has been processed.

Former students must notify the Office of Admissions of any schools attended since the last enrollment at the University of Houston and submit all official transcripts. Degree plans are made in the college of the student's major. The following regulations apply generally to the undergraduate programs. Certain exceptions exist in the Law Center. Refer to the Graduate and Professional Studies catalog.

Universities/colleges with UH Articulation Agreements

International Transfer Credit

It is the policy of the university to transfer course work completed at U.S. colleges and universities and foreign university-level institutions that are recognized by the proper academic accrediting authorities.

Credit will be granted with respect to University of Houston degree requirements in effect at the time of enrollment. In certain subjects such as architecture, business, engineering, education, hotel restaurant management and technology, transfer credit may be obtained on an individual basis. In addition to a syllabus, applicants may have to submit other course materials (e.g., class examinations, homework assignments, etc.). An evaluation for course work completed outside the United States will not be completed unless an official syllabus, catalog, calendar or bulletin is submitted. The student may translate all course descriptions.

An official evaluation for transferring students will be done during your first enrolled semester. Those whose initial registration occurs during the summer session will receive an evaluation of foreign course work by the registration period for the following spring semester. If the syllabus is not submitted by the deadline, coursework will be granted only in "general", or "no credit".

Transfer credit will not be given for English classes taken in a country where the native language is not English.

If you have earned a bachelor's degree or higher, you will be considered for studies as a post baccalaureate in the undergraduate major selected. As a post baccalaureate student, a transfer credit evaluation will only be done by a request from the department of your major in case you are pursuing a second bachelor degree.

The University of Houston grants credit for A/AS level courses (grade 'C' and higher).

The International Baccalaureate is an international program of courses and examinations offered at the high school level. In accordance with Section 51.968 of the Texas Education Code, we will grant at least 24 credit hours in appropriate subject areas to an entering freshman student for successful completion of the IB Diploma program. The institution may grant fewer than 24 credit hours if the student received a score of less than four on an examination administered as part of the diploma program. Students who submit scores of 4 or higher on IB Standard Level (SL) Examination will receive credit if they have also earned the IB diploma. UH also offers credit for scores of 4, 5, 6, or 7 on the International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher-Level (HL) Examinations.

To request credit, you should send your scores to the Executive Director of Learning & Assessment Services for evaluation.

Please visit to order your Official IB Transcripts. UH Institution Code: 01409.

Credit for Military Service

It is the policy of the University of Houston to award transfer credit for military courses and/or military service based on the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE)’s Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experiences in the Armed Services.  Credit for military courses and/or credit is available to all admitted undergraduates.  Either elective or direct course credit will be awarded based on ACE recommendations.

Credit for Military Service (HB 269)
HB 269 makes military veterans who enroll in Texas universities and who meet certain requirements eligible to receive undergraduate college credit for the time they spent in the service. Eligible veterans receive college credit for all the required physical education courses needed for their degree and up to an additional 12 semester hours of elective coursework.

To be eligible to receive credit under HB 269, veterans must have:

  • Graduated from a public or private high school accredited by a generally recognized accrediting organization or from a high school operated by the United States Department of Defense
  • Completed at least two years of service in the armed forces (or discharged because of a disability)
  • Been honorably discharged from the U.S. armed forces

Credit awarded under HB 269 is awarded for having served, not for college-level courses that might have been taken while in the military.

Acceptable forms of documentation include:
AARTS Transcript (Army ACE Registry Transcript)
CCAF Transcript (Community College of the Air Force Transcript)
SMART Transcript (Sailor/Marine ACE Registry Transcript)