SAVE THE DATE:
March 1st, 2022
12:00 PM - 1:00PM
The UH Day of Remembrance is historically held the first Tuesday in March each year to honor our Cougar Family – students, faculty, staff, alumni & friends of the University – that have died the previous year.
During the service, four candles are lit by the respective leaders of the Student Government Association, Faculty Senate, Staff Council, and the UH Alumni Association.
At the conclusion of the service, there are twenty-seven chimes in tribute.
The tradition of the UH Day of Remembrance…
- The 27 tolls represent the year of the founding of the University of Houston
- The annual service is historically held the first Tuesday in March
- March 2, 1793 – Sam Houston’s birth date
- March 3, 1845 – US President John Tyler signs the annexation bill to admit Texas into the Union
- March 7, 1927 – Houston School Board approves and establishes the University of Houston.
The UH Day of Remembrance is presented by the Campus Ministries Association and the A.D. Bruce Religion Center. Support is also provided by the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services, Student Centers, Student Government Association, UH Alumni Association, Office of Development, Human Resources, and the Office of the Dean of Students.
We are currently updating our remembrance booklet. If you know of a UH community member (student, faculty, staff or alumni) who has passed away in 2021, please feel free to send email@example.com the following information:
- Name (Last, First) (Middle name or initial if known)
- Year of Graduation
We also know that 2021 has continued to be a challenging year and many of us have suffered loss and have grieved for those close to us who we have lost. We would like to provide a space where those community members can be recognize and remember on our 2022 UH Day of Remembrance Padlet. This picture memorial is for students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of the university to share images of those lost in 2021.
- Submit pictures
- Please include the person’s name, year of graduation (if applicable) or any thoughts of remembrance.
- Name (Last, First)
- Relationship to UH Community member
- Here are a couple of examples:
- Jacoby, Taylor - Close friend of Peter Sawyer
- Silva, Lilly - Loving mother of Maria Silva
All submitted pictures will need to be reviewed for approval before they can be viewed on the padlet page.
UH Day of Remembrance 2021