At the University of Houston, you’ll find degree programs that will pave the way to the future you envision—whether you want to build the physical foundations of the future as an engineer or architect, shape young minds as an educator, or study how far humanity has already come as an anthropologist. These are just a few of the areas of study available, taught by world-renowned faculty members.
You are a transfer student if you:
- are a student who earned 15 or more transferable hours of college credit after high school graduation (during fall/spring semester) and
- are not a former UH undergraduate student and
- are a U.S. citizen, have applied for permanent residency, or qualify for Texas residency based on Senate Bill 1528
You are an international transfer student if you:
- are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or
- are not graduating from a Texas high school after three years in residence in Texas (please review Senate Bill 1528) and
- have graduated from high-school or equivalent and
- have enrolled in a post-secondary institution, and has earned college credit after high school/secondary school graduation (during fall/spring semesters)
Transferable courses are college-level courses from regionally accredited colleges and universities. In order to determine admissibility, the Office of Admissions will calculate your cumulative GPA for all transferable college-level courses from all schools attended. For repeated courses, grades from all course attempts will be used for calculation of cumulative GPA. The cumulative GPA is for admission purposes only and will not transfer to your UH GPA.
|Admission Type||Hours of College-Level Credit Earned||Minimum Required Cumulative GPA|
|Freshman Admission||0 - 14||Must meet freshman admission criteria|
|Assured Admission||15 or more||2.5|
|Individual Review*||15 or more||2.25 - 2.49|
*If you don’t meet the assured admissions requirements, we may consider additional factors in the admissions process. If we require additional documentation, we’ll request those materials from you.
Transferring College Credit
Transfer credit is awarded for transferable courses that are completed with a grade C- or better. A maximum of 66 lower division (freshman and sophomore-level) semester credit hours can be transferred as credit. There’s no limit to the number of upper division (junior and senior-level) semester credit hours that can transfer to UH. However, students must complete at least 30 semester credit hours in residence at UH to complete baccalaureate degree requirements.
Transfer Equivalency Guides
Mail your most recent official transcript from all colleges and universities you attended using the address below. A school administrator can also email your official transcript to email@example.com.
Pay the nonrefundable $75 application fee ($90 for international students) with a credit card, debit card, or check.
Checks can be made out to:
|Term||Application Type||Open Date||Close Date|
|Fall 2019||U.S. Transfer||8/1/2018||6/28/2019 7/19/19|
|Spring 2020||U.S. Transfer||8/1/2019||12/1/2019|
|Summer 2020||U.S. Transfer||8/1/2019||5/1/2020|
|Fall 2020||U.S. Transfer||8/1/2019||6/26/2020|
All required documents, fees, and test scores must be received by the deadline to be considered complete and eligible for consideration.