You'll apply as an international transfer student if you plan to attend the University of Houston with citizenship from a country outside the U.S. and are transferring a minimum of 15 credit hours from an accredited university.
- 2.5 overall college GPA
- Transfer students with fewer than 15 hours (fewer than 30 hours for business majors) must submit an official final high school transcript and an official ACT/SAT score
English Language Proficiency Requirement
|TOEFL (iBT)||TOEFL (PBT)||IELTS Overall|
Please note: International transfer students may be exempt from submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score by completing 30 or more semester credit hours from a U.S. accredited institution of higher education, including coursework equivalent to UH English Composition ENGL 1303 and ENGL 1304 with a grade of “C” or better and/or the completion of an AA or AS degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
|Term||Application Type||Open Date||Close Date|
|Spring 2020||International Transfer||8/1/2019||10/1/2019|
|Summer 2020||International Transfer||8/1/2019||4/1/2020|
|Fall 2020||International Transfer||8/1/2019||6/1/2020|
Transferring College Credit
Transfer credit is awarded for transferable courses that are completed with a grade C- or better. A maximum of 66 lower division (freshman and sophomore-level) semester credit hours can be transferred as credit. There’s no limit to the number of upper division (junior and senior-level) semester credit hours that can transfer to UH. However, students must complete at least 30 semester credit hours in residence at UH to complete baccalaureate degree requirements.
International credit will be transferred as general elective credit or elective credit within a subject area. Students may choose to complete an Undergraduate Transfer Credit Petition, which will be reviewed by faculty in the appropriate college and department to determine if the work and credit are of suitable content and rigor. This process takes place during the first enrolled term. The application of transfer credit toward a degree at the university cannot be determined until the transcripts have been evaluated and a degree plan is processed.
Transfer Equivalency Guides
Steps to Apply
- Apply Online
Submit your application to using either the Apply Texas Application or The Common Application. Submit just one application.
- Pay Application Fee
You must submit a nonrefundable $90 application fee with a credit or debit card, check, or money order. Money orders can be made out to the University of Houston, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 4434 University Drive, Houston, TX 77204.
- Submit Official Test Scores
Test scores should be sent directly from the testing agency. Our code for ACT is 4236; SAT is 6870; TOEFL is 6870. The testing agency should mail official IELTS score reports to the University of Houston, Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
SAT/ACT scores are only required for special programs.
- Submit Transcripts by Mail
Send official secondary school or high-school academic records (transcripts, mark sheets, graduation certificate) in a sealed envelope to the University of Houston Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 4434 University Drive, Houston, TX, 77204
- Submit Immigration Documents
All applicants are required to submit a copy of their passport ID page(s).
- F-1s in the U.S. are required to submit a copy of page 1 and 2 of the SEVIS I-20 and a copy of their I-94 record.
- J-1s in the U.S. are required to submit a copy of page 1 of the DS-2019 and a copy of their I-94 record.
- Submit Financial Documents
Official bank statements issued no older than (6) months.
- Bank statements must have an original signature from the bank agent and or an official stamp/seal of the issuing bank.
- The amount should be at least $37,730.
- Multiple funding sources are acceptable as long as the sum of the funding available meets the academic year estimate.
- Multiple sponsors are acceptable. However, each sponsor must sign an Affidavit of Support. Students supporting themselves must also sign an Affidavit of Support.
Acceptable financial documents include:
- Statement from the bank signed by agent or bank stamp/seal
- Letter written from bank with the amount clearly indicated in U.S. dollars
- Checking, savings, or certificate of deposit statements
- Scholarship letters
- Letters showing government funding
- Submit Transfer Form
International transfer students must contact your current International Advisor to complete the I-20/DS-2019 Transfer Form and request for your current school to release your SEVIS record to University of Houston-System.
Required Items for I-20 Form (F-1 Visa)
The following items are required to apply for an F-1 visa or maintain F-1 visa status. Upload your documents to your myUH self-service account at accessuh.uh.edu. (All documents must be uploaded as a PDF file.)
- Letter of Financial Backing Form. The Letter of Financial Backing Form must be less than six months old from the date of the sponsor(s)’ signature(s).
- Bank Statement. The bank statement must be less than six months old, and it must indicate a minimum balance of USD $37,730 or the equivalent.
To upload: If you have more than one page, please save all pages into one PDF file before uploading.
- Copy of biometric page of
currentpassport. Submit a copy of your biometricpage of your current passport (and U.S. visa, if available).
- International Address Form. International students seeking an I-20 from the University of Houston must provide a physical address outside the United States in their home country using the International Address Form.
Choose Option to Receive I-20
Choose how you want to receive your I-20 from the three options below.
Option 1: Regular Overseas Mail
Overseas mail takes 4-6 weeks. If you want your I-20 sent by regular overseas mail, no response is required. Your I-20 will be sent by regular overseas mail to the address indicated on your International Address Form. Please do not e-mail to confirm your overseas address.
Option 2: Express Mail
With this option, you will receive your I-20 within 5 days after processing. Express mail is at the expense of the student. To select express mail:
- Go to the University Express Mail Service (UEMS)
- Select "Student Sign Up"
- Create an account
- Select the University of Houston as your school and the Office of Admissions as the department
- Enter your mailing, payment, and myUH ID
Student I-20’s will be available for pick-up upon receipt of the I-20 Release Form. A confirmation e-mail for pick-up will be sent 3-5 business days from the date the release form is submitted.