You'll apply as an international freshman student if you plan to attend the University of Houston with citizenship from a country outside the U.S. and have no college coursework (or are transferring less than 15 credit hours from an accredited university).
|Minimum Grades / Marks||Meets English Requirements||SAT||ACT||TOEFL (iBT)|
|Equivalent GPA 3.0 or higher (4.0 scale)||Yes||1170||24||79|
English Language Proficiency Requirement
|TOEFL (iBT)||TOEFL (PBT)||IELTS Overall||SAT Total / Creative Writing||ACT Composite / English|
|Term||Application Type||Open Date||Close Date|
|Spring 2020||International Freshman||8/1/2019||10/1/2019|
|Summer 2020||International Freshman||8/1/2019||4/1/2020|
|Fall 2020||International Freshman||8/1/2019||6/1/2020|
Steps to Apply
- Apply Online
Submit your application to using either the Apply Texas Application or The Common Application. Submit just one application.
- Pay Application Fee
You must submit a nonrefundable $90 application fee with a credit or debit card, check, or money order. Money orders can be made out to the University of Houston, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 4434 University Drive, Houston, TX 77204.
- Submit Official Test Scores
Test scores should be sent directly from the testing agency. Our code for ACT is 4236; SAT is 6870; TOEFL is 6870. The testing agency should mail official IELTS score reports to the University of Houston, Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
SAT/ACT scores are only required for special programs.
- Submit Transcripts by Mail
Send official secondary school or high-school academic records (transcripts, mark sheets, graduation certificate) in a sealed envelope to the University of Houston Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 4434 University Drive, Houston, TX, 77204
- Submit Immigration Documents
All applicants are required to submit a copy of their passport ID page(s).
- F-1s in the U.S. are required to submit a copy of page 1 and 2 of the SEVIS I-20 and a copy of their I-94 record.
- J-1s in the U.S. are required to submit a copy of page 1 of the DS-2019 and a copy of their I-94 record.
- Submit Financial Documents
Official bank statements issued no older than (6) months.
- Bank statements must have an original signature from the bank agent and or an official stamp/seal of the issuing bank.
- The amount should be at least $37,730.
- Multiple funding sources are acceptable as long as the sum of the funding available meets the academic year estimate.
- Multiple sponsors are acceptable. However, each sponsor must sign an Affidavit of Support. Students supporting themselves must also sign an Affidavit of Support.
Acceptable financial documents include:
- Statement from the bank signed by agent or bank stamp/seal
- Letter written from bank with the amount clearly indicated in U.S. dollars
- Checking, savings, or certificate of deposit statements
- Scholarship letters
- Letters showing government funding
Required Items for I-20 Form (F-1 Visa)
The following items are required to apply for an F-1 visa or maintain F-1 visa status. Upload your documents to your myUH self-service account at accessuh.uh.edu. (All documents must be uploaded as a PDF file.)
- Letter of Financial Backing Form. The Letter of Financial Backing Form must be less than six months old from the date of the sponsor(s)’ signature(s).
- Bank Statement. The bank statement must be less than six months old, and it must indicate a minimum balance of USD $37,730 or the equivalent.
To upload: If you have more than one page, please save all pages into one PDF file before uploading.
- Copy of biometric page of
currentpassport. Submit a copy of your biometricpage of your current passport (and U.S. visa, if available).
- International Address Form. International students seeking an I-20 from the University of Houston must provide a physical address outside the United States in their home country using the International Address Form.
International transfer students must contact your current International Advisor to complete the I-20/DS-2019 Transfer Form and request for your current school to release your SEVIS record to
Choose Option to Receive I-20
Choose how you want to receive your I-20 from the three options below.
Option 1: Regular Overseas Mail
Overseas mail takes 4-6 weeks. If you want your I-20 sent by regular overseas mail, no response is required. Your I-20 will be sent by regular overseas mail to the address indicated on your International Address Form. Please do not e-mail to confirm your overseas address.
Option 2: Express Mail
With this option, you will receive your I-20 within 5 days after processing. Express mail is at the expense of the student. To select express mail:
- Go to the University Express Mail Service (UEMS)
- Select "Student Sign Up"
- Create an account
- Select the University of Houston as your school and the Office of Admissions as the department
- Enter your mailing, payment, and myUH ID
Student I-20’s will be available for pick-up upon receipt of the I-20 Release Form. A confirmation e-mail for pick-up will be sent 3-5 business days from the date the release form is submitted.