New, October 2016
IRB Committee 3 reviews all student-led human subjects research. Student-led protocols require a faculty sponsor; the faculty sponsor must ensure that IRB review/approval is obtained prior to research initiation. Specified IRB office hours, assistance, and training are available for students and/or their faculty sponsors. IRB 3 does not review FDA-regulated research.
The IRB office has established office hours especially for students:
- Come ask questions about the IRB submission and review process
- Want to discuss human subjects issues related to your specific project? Come by!
- Request a pre-review of your protocol prior to submitting it to the committee office to make the process smoother and the turnaround time faster.
- Bring your laptop and we’ll walk you through ICON.
- Open office hours for students are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9am – 12pm in room E. Cullen 403.
Attention Faculty Sponsors!
- Unsure of how to best review student IRB protocols prior to applying your approval signature?
Make an appointment to work with a compliance specialist to walk through the application and discuss what the IRB looks for in an application.
- Will a student be engaged in your IRB-approved human subjects research for their thesis/dissertation? In many cases, if aims and instruments align, this student may be added to your approved protocol and does not have to have a protocol of their own. Contact the IRB office for additional information or to determine on a case-by-case basis.
|Submission Deadlines||IRB 3 Meeting Dates|
|Wednesday, August 23, 2017||Wednesday, September 6, 2017|
|Wednesday, September 20, 2017||Wednesday, October 4, 2017|
|Wednesday, October 18, 2017||Wednesday, November 1, 2017|
|Wednesday, November 22, 2017||Wednesday, December 6, 2017|
|Wednesday, December 13, 2017||Wednesday, January 3, 2018|
|Wednesday, January 24, 2018||Wednesday, February 7, 2018|
|Wednesday, February 21, 2018||Wednesday, March 7, 2018|
|Wednesday, March 21, 2018||Wednesday, April 4, 2018|
|Wednesday, April 18, 2018||Wednesday, May 2, 2018|
|Wednesday, May 23, 2018||Wednesday, June 6, 2018|
|Wednesday, June 20, 2018||Wednesday, July 11, 2018|
|Wednesday, July 18, 2018||Wednesday, August 1, 2018|
*Dates are subject to change without notice if circumstances require rescheduling.
Protocols falling under an expedited category and involving no more than minimal risk, as well as minor changes in approved full board protocols, may be reviewed under an expedited process. The Chair of IRB 3 either reviews or delegates the review to one or more experienced IRB members, who review the protocol under applicable regulations and either approves or requires modifications to the protocol prior to approval. An expedited reviewer may not disapprove a protocol, but may forward to the fully convened committee for further determination if warranted. Expedited submissions are considered on a rolling basis, thus turnaround time for these submissions is expected to be quicker than for protocols undergoing full board review.
Protocols falling under an exempt category defined under the federal regulations require administrative review by the IRB office to ensure that basic ethical principles, such as confidentiality of data and obtaining informed consent where applicable, are addressed. Applications for exempt protocols are reviewed by IRB staff on a rolling basis, thus turnaround time for these submissions is expected to be quicker than for protocols undergoing full board review.