Professor and Chair, Department of Philosophy
I'm a Professor of Philosophy, and Chair of the Philosophy Department. I specialize in ethics; my research interests are primarily in the history of ethics and metaethics. My book Sidgwickian Ethics was published by Oxford University Press in 2011.
- Lincoln College, Oxford University, 1983-6
- B. A. with first class honours in Philosophy, Politics and Economics, July 1986.
- Cornell University, 1986-93
- M. A. in Philosophy, September 1989.
- Ph. d in Philosophy, May 1993.
- Sidgwickian Ethics (Oxford University Press, October 2011)
- "Joseph Butler," in International Encyclopedia of Ethics 2013
- 'Sidgwick on Promises,' in Hanoch Sheinman (ed.), Understanding Promises and Agreements: Philosophical Essays, Oxford University Press, March 2011.
- 'Mackie on Practical Reason,' Ethical Theory and Moral Practice 2007, reprinted in A World Without Values: Essays on John Mackie's Moral Error Theory (Philosophical Studies Series), ed. Richard Joyce and Simon Kirchin (Springer: Jan 2010)
- "Hume on Practical Reason: Normativity and Psychology in Treatise 2.3.3," Hume Studies, November 2005
- "Thomson and the Semantic Argument against Consequentialism," Journal of Philosophy, September 2003.
- "Butler and the Nature of Self-Interest," Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, March 2000.