Department of English
205 Roy Cullen Building
Phone: (713) 743-3004
Fax: (713) 743-3215
Professor of Philosophy and Associate Dean
for Faculty and Research, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
I’m a Professor of philosophy, and currently serve also as Associate Dean for Faculty and Research in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. My research interests are primarily in metaethics and the history of ethics. My book Sidgwickian Ethics was published by Oxford University Press in 2011.
- Lincoln College, Oxford University, 1983-6
- B. A. with first class honours in Philosophy, Politics and Economics, July 1986.
- Cornell University, 1986-93
- M. A. in Philosophy, September 1989.
- Ph. d in Philosophy, May 1993.
- Sidgwickian Ethics (Oxford University Press, October 2011)
- "Joseph Butler," in International Encyclopedia of Ethics 2013
- 'Sidgwick on Promises,' in Hanoch Sheinman (ed.), Understanding Promises and Agreements: Philosophical Essays, Oxford University Press, March 2011.
- 'Mackie on Practical Reason,' Ethical Theory and Moral Practice 2007, reprinted in A World Without Values: Essays on John Mackie's Moral Error Theory (Philosophical Studies Series), ed. Richard Joyce and Simon Kirchin (Springer: Jan 2010)
- "Hume on Practical Reason: Normativity and Psychology in Treatise 2.3.3," Hume Studies, November 2005
- "Thomson and the Semantic Argument against Consequentialism," Journal of Philosophy, September 2003.
- "Butler and the Nature of Self-Interest," Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, March 2000.