Admissions only take place for the Fall Semester. The application deadline is February 28.
- Application Form – An online graduate application form which can be filled out via http://www.uh.edu/graduate-school/prospective-students/how-to-apply/. Check out the UH Graduate School website for further information and help.
- Entry Degree Requirements – A Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts Degree, which includes 24 hours of Anthropology or other social science courses on the semester system. If your major was not Anthropology or your baccalaureate degree is not BA or BS, additional course work may be required and is supervised by the graduate advisor. Official copies of all university transcripts, with degree posted, are required. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING SURE THAT AN OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT WITH DEGREE POSTED IS SENT TO THE UNIVERSITY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
- Grade point Average – A grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)/(B) on all work attempted, graduate and/or undergraduate, beginning with the semester during which the first of the 60 most recent semester hours were taken. If possible, please send an unofficial copy of your transcript to the graduate advisor for your file.
- Examination Score – A total of 300 on the GRE Verbal and Quantitative sections, and a 4.5 or above on the Analytical scores. THE GRE Examination must be taken and the scores received by the University of Houston before a decision can be made on the application.
- Three Letters of Recommendation preferably from former professors but references from the work setting are acceptable, especially if they demonstrate one’s potential as a graduate student. All recommendations are now online and should be uploaded to the student’s file.
- Sample of Writing Style. This can be only a few pages of a paper written for school or work. This should be uploaded under the Additional Materials option on the checklist.
- Statement of Professional Goals. This only needs to a clear statement telling us what you are interested in studying in our Department and why. It is usually attached to the common application
- Applicants slightly below the GPA/GRE Admission Standards may be admitted conditionally on a case by case basis. Conditional acceptance means the student must have a GPA of 3.0 in the first 12 hours. When this is completed, STUDENT MUST PETITION TO BE MADE UNCONDITIONAL.
- Judgments of courses equivalent to those offered at UH will be made by the graduate advisor. Only 6 semester hours of graduate work completed at another university or in another department of UH may be transferred as counting toward degree requirements at UH.