Spring 2019 Book Club Discussion
Join us for a discussion on the book, Blue Bird Blue Bird by Attica Locke. All UH community members are welcome. Lunch will be served. RSVP by 1/7/19.
12:00-1:15pm WGRC, Student Center North 201
Butterfly Packs Donation Drive
Accepting Donations through January 2019
In effort to meet the needs of individuals in our campus community impacted by relationship violence, the Women and Gender Resource Center is having an ongoing donation drive to collect care supplies. The collected care supplies will be used to create care packs for individual’s leaving their home due to violence and abuse. In many instances those needing to leave an unsafe environment suddenly, leave without essential daily items. Each butterfly pack will contain a number of necessities including: toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, and deodorant. The butterfly packs will be available in the Women and Gender Resource Center as a resource to any UH faculty, staff, or student who may need them. Please join us by donating an item today!
All donations can be dropped off at the Women and Gender Resource Center- Student Center North 201
Start Smart Salary Negotiation Workshops
The WGRC and WGSS partner to host two workshops per year. Start Smart is designed to teach Women how to negotiate salaries for a new job. The two-hour workshop includes: information on how to identify and articulate your personal value, how to conduct objective job market research to benchmark target salary and benefits, and information and the impact of the gender pay gap on Women. Undergraduate and Graduate Women are welcome to attend this workshop. Space is limited, registration is required.
Fall 2018 Start Smart Workshop: November 30th
9-11:00am, Agnes Arnold Hall Room 210
Spring 2019 Start Smart Workshop: April 19th
9-11:00am, Agnes Arnold Hall Room 210
Gender Pride Week
A week-long series of programs and events bringing awareness to Gender Identity & Expression and celebrating Gender Diversity at UH. All students, faculty and staff are welcome.
- 28th- Real Talk Discussion: Gender Diversity, WGRC Student Center North 201, 5-6pm (hosted by the WGRC CORE Team Ambassadors)
- 29th- TieDyeVersity- Butler Plaza, 11am-1pm- join us at Butler Plaza for Tie Die T-shirt making to celebrate gender diversity at UH (hosted by the WGRC CORE Team Ambassadors
- 29th- Gender Jeopardy, 4-6pm WGRC (sponsored by UH Wellness and the WGRC CORE Team Ambassadors)
- 30th- Women in Mathematics & Economics Lunch & Roundtable, 12-2pm, University Career Services (sponsored by University Career Services)
- 30th- Screening of RBG, a documentary on US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Student Center South Theater 6pm (sponsored by the Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- 31st- Gender Pride Palooza, Student Center Plaza 11am-1pm. Join us for games, prizes, fun, food and more! (Hosted by the WGRC)
Sista Circle: Black Grads Discussion Group
Sista Circle is a weekly discussion group series for Graduate and Professional Student Women looking for a space to discuss important topics and get support. Hosted by the WGRC and CAPS
WGRC Student Center North 201, Wednesdays, 5-6pm
- February 13th, 29th, 27th
- March 20th, 27th
- April 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th
- May 1st, 8th
Code Red Assist Training: Staff & Faculty Only
- February 15th 9am-4:30pm, Student Center South Midtown Room - Registration
- April 12th 9am-4:30pm, Student Center South Downtown Room - Registration
- June 6th 9am-4:30pm, Student Center South Downtown Room - Registration
- Registration Required.
End it Movement
11am-2pm, Student Center
Join the movement to end Human Trafficking. This educational event includes resources and information on human trafficking in Houston and Texas, a photo campaign, and t-shirt giveaway. Hosted by the WGRC, CSI, the Student Centers and the Modern Abolitionist Coalition Student Organization
March 1st, 2019
10am-4pm, Student Centers
Feminist After 5 Staff, Faculty and Graduate Student Networking Social
5:30-7pm, WGRC Student Center North 201
Feminist After 5 (FA5) is an annual networking social to bring staff, faculty, and graduate/professional students together to “build connections and increase support” for gender equity on campus. This event includes networking opportunities, games, prizes and refreshments.
Simple Treasures Pop Up Shop
5-7pm, WGRC Student Center North 201
Join us for the 2nd annual pop up shop. A place for students to shop for free! Items include: clothes, shoes and accessories. *If you would like to donate gently used items, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Donations accepted through March 2019.
UH Goes Teal
11am-1pm Student Center Plaza
This program serves as the kick-off each April for Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). The event includes a resource fair, information and resources on sexual assault and support at UH, interactive activities, prizes, food and more. *During the month of April, participants are encouraged to wear Teal. Teal Ribbons are available at the WGRC beginning on April 1st.
The Healing Gallery
11am-3pm, Student Center South Downtown Room
During SAAM (April), the WGRC hosts the annual Healing Gallery. The gallery includes art, performances, and exhibits related to sexual violence and survivor empowerment. Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to submit art and participate in the exhibits, and all are welcome to attend the gallery. Following the gallery, there is a reception and opportunity to meet some of the artists and WGRC staff. For information on submissions for the gallery, please email Ashley Griffin (email@example.com).
Professional Power Hour
The Professional Power Hour is a new program series for UH staff and Faculty. Hour-long sessions are centered on topics related to gender equity, and personal and professional development, focused on empowering women for success. Get ready to listen, learn, network and be empowered. *Participants are welcome to bring their lunch; light refreshments will be served.
All Professional Power Hour Events are from 12-1pm in Student Center South Downtown Room
- November 16, 2018: Enhancing Your Leadership Presence
- January 9, 2019: What’s Your Vision for the Year? Vision Board Party
- April 2, 2019: Equal Pay
- June 4, 2019: Sister Circle: An Open Discussion