Dr. Wajiha Shireen, Department Chair, Professor of Electrical Power Engineering Technology
College of Technology, Department of Electrical Power EngineeringFACULTY WEBSITE
Areas of expertise
- Power electronics
- Power quality
- DSP-based control for motor drives
- Power supplies and alternate energy systems
College of Technology Outstanding Faculty Award for Teaching, 2014.
- College of Technology Outstanding Faculty Award for Research, 1998, 2006.
- Featured as a leading Researcher and Educator in Engineering Technology, in an article published in the Journal of Engineering Technology, 2001.
- Wajiha Shireen and Sonal Patel, "Fast Converging MPPT Control for Photovoltaic Applications", LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2012, ISBN:978-3-8473-1903-0.
- Wajiha Shireen and Preetham Goli, Book Chapter titled, "Control and Management of PV Integrated Charging Facilities for PEVs". Book Title: "Plug-In Electric Vehicles in Smart Grid: Charging Strategies" to be published by Springer, 2014.
- Preetham Goli, Wajiha Shireen, "Smart Scheduling of PHEVs in PV Integrated Charging Facilities Based on DC Link Voltage Sensing," Accepted for publication in Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC), 2015.
- Preetham Goli, Wajiha Shireen, "Control of PHEV Charging Facilities Integrated with Small Scale Wind Turbine," Accepted for publication in Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC), 2015.
- Kotti, R.; Shireen, W., "Efficient MPPT Control for PV systems adaptive to fast changing irradiation and partial shading conditions," Solar Energy Journal, 2015 (Accepted).
- Kotti, R.; Shireen, W., "An efficient robust MPPT control for grid-connected photovoltaic systems with reduced DC link capacitance," Industrial Electronics Society, IECON 2014 - 40th Annual Conference of the IEEE, pp.5462,5467, Oct. 29.
- W. Shireen and P. Goli, "Wind Powered Smart Charging Facility for PHEVs" IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2014.
- P Goli, W Shireen, "PV powered smart charging station for PHEVs", Renewable Energy, Volume 66, June 2014, Pages 280-287, ISSN 0960-1481.
- W. Shireen, A. Nagarajan, S. Patel et. al., "A Reliable Low Cost Power Electronics Interface for Photovoltaic Energy Systems", Solar Energy Journal, pp 370-376, 2014.
- Kotti, R.; Shireen, W., "Maximum Power Point Tracking of a Variable speed PMSG Wind power system with DC link reduction technique", 2014 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting (PES), 2014 IEEE International Conference, 27-31 July 2014.
For more publications, see CV below.
- "Modified Space Vector Pulse Width Modulation technique to reduce DC-bus ripple effect in voltage source inverters", U.S. Patent 6,313,602 B1, 2001.
Grants and Funded Research
- Micro-grid Simulation Study MARTECH International Inc. $14,000 2017 1. Analysis of PHEV in a smart grid environment. CenterPoint Energy. $275,000. 2010- 2015.
- A Reliable Low Cost Power Electronics Interface for Renewable Energy Systems Using a Single DSP Controller. California Energy Commission. $83,210. 2008- 2009.
- Analysis of Ford Escape Plug-In Hybrid Conversion. CenterPoint Energy. $175,000. 2009-2015.
- ARRA - Smart Grid Energy Training Coalition - Development of Training. $2,499,904. US Department of Energy. 2010-2014.
- A Reliable Low Cost Power Electronics Interface for Renewable Energy Systems Using a Single DSP Controller. San Diego State University Foundation. $80,975. 2009-2010.
- Development of a Modern DSP-based Laboratory for Power Electronics Education. National Science Foundation (NSF) $73,996 2005- 2007
More research information in CV below and ResearchGate profile, here.