Dr. Wei-Chuan Shih, Associate Professor of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Cullen College of Engineering, Department of Mechanical EngineeringFACULTY WEBSITE
Areas of expertise
- Hyperspectral imaging
- Digital signal processing
- Optical & ultrasonic imaging
- Environmental Sensing: water quality, pathogen, oil spill
MIT Martin Fellowship for Sustanability, MIT, 2005
NSF CAREER Award, NSF, 2012
NASA Early Career Faculty Award, NASA, 2012
UH Award of Excellence in Research and Scholarship, University of Houston, 2013
NIH Study Section Instrumental and System Development, National Institute of Health, 2011
NSF Regular and SBIR panels, National Science Foundation
UH Cullen College of Engineering Research Award, 2015
- Wei-Chuan Shih, “Hybrid fabrication makes better plasmonic nanostructures for SERS,” Photonics Spectra, August, 2013.
- Wei-Chuan Shih, Kate L. Bechtel, and Michael S Feld, “Quantitative Biological Raman Spectroscopy,” in Handbook of Optical Sensing of Glucose in Biological Fluids and Tissues, Editor: Valery V. Tuchin; Taylor & Francis (2008).
- Wei-Chuan Shih, Kate L Bechtel, Michael S Feld, Mark A Arnold, Gary W Small, “Introduction to spectroscopy for noninvasive glucose sensing,” in Analytical Chemistry of In Vivo Glucose Measurements; Cunningham, D.; Stenken, JA, Eds.; Wiley Chemical Analysis Series (2009).
- Wei-Chuan Shih, Kate L Bechtel, Michael S Feld, “ Non-invasive glucose sensing with Raman spectroscopy,” in Analytical Chemistry of In Vivo Glucose Measurements; Cunningham, D.; Stenken, JA, Eds.; Wiley Chemical Analysis Series (2009).
- Fusheng Zhao, Jianbo Zeng, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “In situ patterning of hierarchical nanoporous gold structures by in-plane dealloying,” (Accepted 12/7/14) (DOI: 10.1016/j.mseb.2014.12.016)).
- Wei-Chuan Shih**, “A study of constrained regularization and its performance on non-invasive glucose sensing using Raman spectroscopy,” 2014 Journal of Innovative Optical Health Sciences (Accepted 11/24/14) (DOI: 10.1142/S1793545815500224).
- Jianbo Zeng, Fusheng Zhao, Ming Li, Chien-Hung Li, T. Randall Lee, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Morphological control and plasmonic tuning of nanoporous gold nanoparticles by surface modifications,” Journal of Materials Chemistry C (First published online 11/14/2014) (DOI: 10.1039/C4TC02328E).
- Ji Qi, Kate L Bechtel, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Automated image curvature assessment and correction for high-throughput Raman spectroscopy and microscopy,” Biomedical Spectroscopy and Imaging 3(4): 359-368, 2014.
- Md Masud Parvez Arnob, Fusheng Zhao, Jianbo Zeng, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Laser rapid thermal annealing enables tunable plasmonics in nanoporous gold nanoparticles,” Nanoscale 6(21), 12470-12475, 2014.
- Narendran Sudheendran*, Ji Qi*, Eric D. Young, Alexander J. Lazar, Dina C. Lev, Raphael E. Pollock, Kirill V. Larin, Wei-Chuan Shih**, “High throughput Raman spectral imaging complements optical coherence tomography for tumor boundary detection,” Laser Physics Letters 11:105602, 2014 (*: Equal contribution).
- Jianbo Zeng, Ji Qi, Fuquan Bai, Jorn Yu, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Analysis of ethyl and methyl centralite vibrational spectra for mapping organic gunshot residue,” Analyst 139(17), 4270-4278, 2014.
For more publications, see CV below or click here.
- 62031516, Fabrication of lenses by droplet formation on a pre-heated surface (Provisional application) Inventor: Wei-Chuan Shih and Yulung Sung; Assignee: U. Houston
- 62004131, Nanoporous gold and silver nanoparticles and substrates for biomolecular sensing (Provisional application) Inventor: Wei-Chuan Shih and Richard C Willson; Assignee: U. Houston
- 61985984, Method of stamping surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy for label-free, multiplexed, molecular sensing and imaging (Provisional application) Inventor: Wei-Chuan Shih and Ming Li; Assignee: U. Houston
- 61827192, Integrated thin-film optrode (Provisional application) Inventor: John C Wolfe, Mufaddal Gheewala, Wei-Chuan Shih; Assignee: U. Houston
- 13/796,201 Nanoporous gold nanoparticles as high-payload molecular cargos, photothermal/photodynamic therapeutic agents, and ultrahigh surface-to-volume plasmonic sensor (Non-provisional application) Inventor: Wei-Chuan Shih; Assignee: U. Houston
- 13/741,277 “Method and system for Raman microspectroscopy (Non-provisional patent allowance obtained) Inventors: Wei-Chuan Shih; Assignee: U. Houston
- US8661663 Method for manufacturing a multimodal neural probe (Issued) Inventors: John C Wolfe and Wei-Chuan Shih; Assignee: U. Houston
- US6975459 Micro-actuated adaptive diffractive composites (Issued) Inventors: G Barbastathis, SG Kim, Wei-Chuan Shih, CW Wong, YB Jeon; Assignee: MIT
- US8124931 Method and apparatus for oil spill detection (Issued) Inventors: AB Andrews, Wei-Chuan Shih, M Clayton, OC Mullins; Assignee: Schlumberger
- US8362429 Method and apparatus for oil spill detection (Issued) Inventors: AB Andrews, Wei-Chuan Shih, M Clayton, OC Mullins; Assignee: Schlumberger
- US 8355767 Raman spectroscopy for non-invasive glucose measurements (Issued) Inventors: M. Hunter, A. Enejder, T. Scecina, M. Feld, Wei-Chuan Shih; Assignee: MIT
Grants and Funded Research
- NSF EAGER: Citizen Science 2016
- NSF CBET Nano-Biosensing 2016
- NSF I-CORPS 2015
- Department of Interior BSEE 2015
- NIH R21 2014
- GoMRI-RFPII 2012
- NASA CAREER Award 2012
- NSF CAREER Award 2012
More research information in CV below and ResearchGate profile, here.