Dr. Pradeep Sharma, M.D. Anderson Chair Professor & Department Chair of Mechanical Engineering
Cullen College of Engineering, Department of Mechanical EngineeringFACULTY WEBSITE
Areas of expertise
- Theoretical and computational materials science
- Physics of nanostructures and nanomaterials
- High temperature mechanical behavior of materials, energy storage
- Quantum and solid mechanics
Associate Editor: Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids
President, Society of Engineering Science, 2015
University of Houston Teaching Award, 2013
ASME Fellow, 2013
Fulbright Award, 2013
Distinguished M.D Anderson Professorship, 2012
University of Houston, Excellence in Research and Scholarship Award, Associate Professor Level, 2011
Faculty of the Year award by local ASME student chapter—2010
Thomas J.R. Hughes ASME Young Investigator Award1 , 2009; Citation: “For outstanding contributions to understanding size-effects of coupled mechanical and physical phenomena in materials”
- Selected as one of the Top Referees (2009); Proceedings of the Royal Society
More awards in CV below.
- M. Zelisko, F. Ahmadpoor, H. Gao, P. Sharma. “Determining the Gaussian modulus and edge properties of 2D materials from graphene to lipid bilayers”, Physical Review Letters, 119, 068002(1-6), 2017 (download pdf)
- X. Yan, P. Sharma, “Time scaling in atomistics and the rate-dependent mechanical behavior of nanostructures”, Nano Letters, 16, 3487–3492, 2016 (download pdf) (supplementary pdf) (download video #1)(download video #2)(download video #3)(download video #4)(download video #5)(download video #6)
- S. Krichen, L. Liu, P. Sharma. “Biological cell as a soft magnetoelectric material: Elucidating the physical mechanisms underpinning the detection of magnetic fields by animals”, Physical Review E, 042404(1-11), 2017 (download pdf)
- F. Liu, L. You, K. L. Seyler, X. Li, P. Yu, J. Lin, X. Wang, J. Zhou, H. Wang, H. He, S. T. Pantelides, W. Zhou, P. Sharma, X. Xu, P. M. Ajayan, J. Wang, Z. Liu, “Room-temperature ferroelectricity in CuInP2S6 ultrathin flakes”,Nature Communications, 7, 12357(1-6), 2016 (download pdf) (supplementary pdf)
- F. Ahmadpoor, P. Sharma, “Thermal fluctuations of vesicles and nonlinear curvature elasticity-implications for size-dependent renormalized bending rigidity and vesicle size distribution”, Soft Matter, 12, 2523-2536, 2016 (Featured as Cover Image) (download pdf)
- Y. Liu, H. Cai, M. Zelisko, Y. Wang, J. Sun, F. Yan, F. Ma, Pwang, Q. N. Chen, H. Zheng, X. Meng, P. Sharma, Y. Zhang, J. Li, “Ferroelectric switching of elastin”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111 (27),E2780-E2786, 2014 ( Highlighted by Nature Physics) (download pdf)
For more publications, see CV below or click here.
- Monolithic light emitting devices based on wide bandgap semiconductor nanostructures and methods for making same; US Patent Issued on October 17, 2006
- Fabrication of self-assembling nanostructures; US Patent issued on March 27, 2008
Grants and Funded Research
- University of Texas-Texas Space Grant Consortium. *Size-Dependent Multi-Physics Phenomenon of Heterogeneous Materials Containing NanoInclusions--Task Order E. 2004-2007. $10,000.
- University of Houston - New Faculty Research Program. *Novel Size-effects in the Coupled Opto-electronic and Deformation Behavior of Quantum Dots and Wires. 2005-2005. $6,000.
- U.S. Navy Office of Naval Research *Novel Size-Effects in the Coupled Mechanical Deformation and Optoelectronic Behavior of Quantum Dots and Wires 2005-2009. $262,471.
- University of Houston Small Grants Program. *Spontaneous Electric Fields in Strained Non-Piezoelectric Quantum Dots and Nano-Beams with Consequent Applications for Next Generation Sensors. 2006-2006. $3,000.
- University of Houston Grant to Enhance and Advance Research (GEAR) *Spontaneous Electric Fields in Strained Non-Piezoelectric Quantum Dots and Nano-Beams with Consequent Applications for Next Generation Sensors. 2006-2007 $29,845.
- Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board - ARP *Nanocomposite-Based Piezoelectric Actuators and Sensors Without Use of Piezoelectric Materials. 2006-2009. $100,000.
- University of Houston Small Grants Program- *Reverse Strain-Band Structure 2007 2007 $ 3,000
For more research information in CV below and ResearchGate profile, here.