Dr. Jae-Hyun Ryou, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Cullen College of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering DepartmentFACULTY WEBSITE
Areas of expertise
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Semiconductor materials
- Photonic/electronic devices
- Light-emitting diodes and laser diodes
- Photovoltaic solar cells
- Energy devices
- Teaching Excellence Award, University of Houston Cullen College of Engineering May 2017
- Roger P. Webb Research Spotlight Award, Georgia Institute of Technology Apr. 2011
OSA (Optical Society of America) Senior Member, 2011
- Roger P. Webb Georgia Tech ECE Research Spotlight Award, 2011
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) Senior Member, 2008
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) Senior Member, 1995
- POSCO Research Paper Award, 1995
- Daewoo Engineering Fellowship, 1994
- University Academic Excellence Award, 1991,1992
For more awards, see faculty page above, or CV below.
- S. K. Oh, M. U. Cho, J. Dallas, T. Jang, D. G. Lee, S. Pouladi, J. Chen, W. Wang, S. Shervin, H. Kim, S. Shin, S. Choi, J. S. Kwak, and J.-H. Ryou*, "High-power flexible AlGaN/GaN heterostructure field-effect transistors with negative differential conductivity suppression," Appl. Phys. Lett. (accepted for publication in Sep. 2017).
- W. Lee, S. Muhammad, T. Kim, H. Kim, E. Lee, M. Jeong, S. Son, J.-H. Ryou, and W. S. Yoon, "New insight into Ni-rich layered structure for next-generation Li rechargeable batteries," Adv. Energy Mater. (accepted for publication in Aug. 2017).
- S. Sing, M. Yarali, S. Shervin, V. Venkateswaran, K. Olenick, J. A. Olenick, J.-H. Ryou, and A. Mavrokefalos, "Temperature-dependent thermal conductivity of flexible yttria-stabilized zirconia substrate via 3ω technique," Phys. Status Solidi A (accepted for publication in May 2017).
- M. Rathi, P. Dutta, N. Zheng, Y. Yao; D. Khatiwada, Y. Gao, S. Sun, Y. Li, S. Pouladi, P. Ahrenkiel, J.-H. Ryou, and V. Selvamanickam, "High opto-electronic quality n-type single-crystalline-like GaAs thin films on flexible metal substrates," J. Mater. Chem. C 5 (31), 7919–7926 (2017).
- M. Baek, M. Oh, B. Parida, M. S. Kim, J.-H. Ryou, and H. Kim, "Hybrid oblique-angle deposited ITO/silver nanowire transparent conductive electrodes for brighter light emitters," IEEE Trans. Electron Device. 64 (9), 3690–3695 (2017)
- E. Jung, S. Jeong, J.-H. Ryou, and H. Kim, "Deep-trap states of GaN-based light emitting diodes analyzed by space charge limited conduction model," J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol. 17 (10), 7339–7343 (2017).
- M. Oh, H. J. Jeong, M. S. Jeong, K.-S. Ahn, K.-K. Kim, J.-H. Ryou, and H. Kim, "Functional hybrid indium-tin-oxide transparent conductive electrodes for light-emitters," J. Alloy. Compound. 724, 813–819 (2017).
- W. Wang, S. Shervin, S. K. Oh, J. Chen, Y. Huai, S. Pouladi, H. Kim, S.-N. Lee, and J.-H. Ryou*, "Flexible AlGaInN/GaN heterostructures for high-hole-mobility transistors," IEEE Electron Device Lett. 38 (8), 1086–1089 (2017).
- B. Parida, S. Kim, M. Oh, S. Jeong, M. K. Baek, J.-H. Ryou, and H. Kim, "Nanostructured NiO/Si heterojunction photodetector," Mater. Sci. Semicon. Process. 71, 29‒34 (2017).
- S. Kim, K.-S. Ahn, J.-H. Ryou, and H. Kim, "Temperature-dependent DC characteristics of AlInN/GaN high-electron-mobility transistors," Electron. Mater. Lett. 13 (4), 302–306 (2017).
For more publications, see research website above, CV below, or visit google scholar page here.
- Daniel Guidotti, Gee-Kung Chang, Jae-Hyun Ryou, and Russell D. Dupuis, “Edge viewing photo detector and method of making same,” US Patent 7482667 (Jan. 27, 2009).
- Tzu-Yu Wang, Hoki Kwon, Jae-Hyun Ryou, Gyoungwon Park, and Jin K. Kim “InP-based long wavelength VCSEL,” US Patent 7433381 (Oct. 7, 2008).
- Tzu-Yu Wang, Jin K. Kim, Hoki Kwon, Gyoungwon Park, and Jae-Hyun Ryou, “Carrier bonded 1550nm VCSEL with InP substrate removal,” US Patent 7286584 (Oct. 23, 2007).
- Jae-Hyun Ryou and Gyoungwon Park, “Dielectric VCSEL gain guide,” US Patent 7277461 (Oct. 2, 2007).
- Jae-Hyun Ryou, “Pseudomorphic layer in tunnel junction,” US Patent 7136406 (Nov. 14, 2006).
- Jae-Hyun Ryou, Michael D. Ringle, and Yue Liu, “VCSEL having thermal management,” US Patent 7075962 (Jul. 11, 2006).
- Jae-Hyun Ryou, Tzu-Yu Wang, Jin K. Kim, Gyoungwon Park, and Hoki Kwon, “Enhanced lateral oxidation,” US Patent 7054345 (May 30, 2006).
- Ying-Lan Chang, Scott W. Corzine, Russell D. Dupuis, Min Soo Noh, Jae-Hyun Ryou, Michael R. T. Tan, and Ashish Tandon, “Long-wavelength photonic devices with GaAsSb quantum-well layers,” US Patent 6711195 (Mar. 23, 2004).
Grants and Funded Research
- Epitaxial structure development for III-nitride-based Schottky junction power devices (P.I., 2008– 2009, Georgia Tech, Alpha and Omega Semiconductors).
- Advanced HFET devices and circuits for high-performance, high-reliability RF devices (P.I., 2004– 2005, Georgia Tech, DARPA, subcontract from Magellus Corp.).
- Development of commercial 650nm red VCSEL (P.I., 2001–2003, Honeywell Technology Center).
- Investigation of III-N LEDs grown on high-quality low-cost III-N substrates for solid-state lighting, (co-P.I., Georgia Tech, submitted to DOE, National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) in Nov. 2011, subcontract from MEMC Electronic Materials Inc.).
- Advanced Middle-UV coherent optical sources (co-P.I., 2010–2012, Georgia Tech, CMUVT program, DARPA).
- Fundamental study of defect reduction in type-II superlattice materials (co-P.I., 2010–2012, Georgia Tech, ARO MURI).
- Collaborative Research: Nanobeam lasers (co-P.I., 2010–2012, Georgia Tech, NSF-EPDT/ECCS).
- Growth and development of high performance UV imaging focal plane arrays (co-P.I., 2010–2014, Georgia Tech, DARPA SBIR, subcontract from Magnolia Optical Technologies).
- Development of nitride electronic next generation technology (co-P.I., 2010–2012, Georgia Tech, NeXT program, DARPA, subcontract from HRL).
- E-mode III-nitride high-voltage transistor development (co-P.I., 2009–2012, Georgia Tech, Intersil Corporation).
For more research information, see CV below.