Dr. Heidar Malki, Chair of Engineering Technology, Professor of Computer Engineering Technology and Computational Health Informatics
College of Technology, Department of Engineering TechnologyFACULTY WEBSITE
Areas of expertise
- Design and analysis of fuzzy logic controllers
- Industrial applications of neural networks
- Neuro-fuzzy controllers
- Smart grid optimization and control
- Semicunductor devices and circuits
- Who's Who in America, 2007, 2008 edition
- Alumnus of the year, College of Engineering and Applied Science, 2005
- ASEE-NASA Fellowship Award, NASA Ames Research Center, Summer 2002 and 2003
- Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, 2003-present
- Fluor Daniel Outstanding faculty for Research Award, College of Technology, 2001, 2003
- Outstanding College of Technology Faculty Award for Research, 1995 and 1999
- Recipient of TAU ALPHA PI National Honor Society, 2000
- Senior Member of IEEE, 1999
- Best Paper Award, Computers in Education Division of ASEE, 1998
- Chair, ASEE/GSW Conference, March 1997, Houston
- Co-chair, IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, June 1997, Houston
- Scientific American, Invited Paper on Fuzzy Logic, June 1996
- Distinguished Panelist on the topic of The impact of integration of neural networks and expert systems on machine learning, Indianapolis, Indiana, February 16-18, 1993
- D. Misir and Heidar A. Malki, Liapunov stability for a fuzzy PID controlled flexible-joint manipulator, To appear on the Int. J. Computer Application in Technology, 2005.
- H. A. Canelon, J.I., L.S. Shieh, S.M. Guo and H.A. Malki, Neural Network-Based Digital Redesign Approach for Control of Unknown Continuous-Time Chaotic Systems, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, Vol. 15, No. 8, August 2005.
- Malki, N. B. Karayiannis, and *M. Balasubramanian, Short-term electric power load forecasting using feed-forward neural networks, Expert Systems International Journal of Knowledge Engineering and Neural Networks, June 2004.
- H. A. Malki and A. Matarrita, Web-based control systems laboratories using LabVIEW, Journal of Engineering Technology, pp. 22-25, Spring 2003.
- G. R. Shetty, H. A. Malki, and S. Chellam, Predicting contaminant removal during municipal drinking water nanofiltration using artificial neural networks, Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 212, pp. 99-112, 2003.
- R. S. Ranganathan, H. A. Malki, and G. Chen, Fuzzy predictive pi control for processes with large time delays, Expert Systems International Journal of Knowledge Engineering and Neural Networks, Vol. 19, No 1, pp. 21-33, February 2002. (Invited)
- H. A. Maki and S. Anwar, Determination of lithofacies from well logs using unsupervised neural network model, The Electrical Journal for Engineering Technology (online), 2002.
- H. A. Malki and Y. Ng, Braille recognition using supervised neural network, ASEE Computers in Education Journal, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 9-15, 2001.
- G. B. Reddy and H. A. Malki, Essentials of mechatronics laboratory, ASEE Computers in Education Journal, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 2-5, 2001.
- H. A. Malki and Chuck Umeh, Design of fuzzy-logic based level controller, Journal of Engineering Technology, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 32-38, Spring 2000.
More publications in faculty website above.
- None available.
Grants and Funded Research
- H. Malki and K. Grigoriadis, “Robust and Reliable Lunar surface Navigation Algorithm Development,” NASA-JSC, $89,000, 3/1/09-5-30/11.
- H. Malki and X. Yuan, NSF, “REU SITE: Sensor Networks and Security Infrastructure”, $330,000, 04/1/08-08/30/11.
- H. Malki, X. Yuan, R. Pascali, A. Conklin, and M. Gibson, Texas Workforce Commission, “Meeting Industries’ Critical Workforce needs/Aerospace (AWIN), $257,101, 4/15/07 – 4/14/09.
- R. Iyer. H. Malki, and C. Baca, Texas Workforce Commission, “Bridges to the future- Initiating a Comprehensive Biotechnology Program at the University Of Houston”, $1,023,336, , 9/1/06 – 3/31/08
- G. Song, H. Hutchins, Y. L. Mo, H. Malki, L-S Shieh, NSF, “Collaborative Research: Phase II development of an innovative multi-functional smart vibration platform” $315,999, 2007-10.
- X. Yuan, H. Malki, G. Song, NSF, “Infusing Advanced Sensor Network Research into Cross-disciplinary Undergraduate Education”, $199,884, 1/1/09 – 12/30/10.
- G. Song, M. Franchek, and H. Malki, Hewlett Packard, “Integrate Mobile Technology in Controls Laboratories”, $45,000, 2006-2008.